Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

can you help me, i'm tryin to get my head around boa stripes.

i'm guessing;
double strip is the obvious (2 stripes)
reverse stripe is a stripe from tail going up the body, most of time not full length of body tho
but what is genetic stripe? does that simply mean its a het stripe?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
hi all,

can you help me, i'm tryin to get my head around boa stripes.

i'm guessing;
double strip is the obvious (2 stripes)
reverse stripe is a stripe from tail going up the body, most of time not full length of body tho
but what is genetic stripe? does that simply mean its a het stripe?
I would assume that genetic stripe is proven by breeding striped examples to other striped animals and getting stripes... so you know it's a genetic trait and not just a fluke animal with a stripe pattern... if you get what I mean...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would assume that genetic stripe is proven by breeding striped examples to other striped animals and getting stripes... so you know it's a genetic trait and not just a fluke animal with a stripe pattern... if you get what I mean...
yes i know what you mean, its proving that its a het and not just a one off. cheers for making me a bit more sure

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
yes i know what you mean, its proving that its a het and not just a one off. cheers for making me a bit more sure
just to be clear, "het" means heterozygous, and not that it is a genetic trait of the animal.

ASAIK the stripe is a codom morph so it could be a het but it could also be a homo though I'm not big on boa genetics. ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think that was the signal for my genetics headache to start :lol2:
thanks for your input i'll get there in the end!

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
just to be clear, "het" means heterozygous, and not that it is a genetic trait of the animal.

ASAIK the stripe is a codom morph so it could be a het but it could also be a homo though I'm not big on boa genetics. ;)

is it co dom ?? i have a fair understanding of most boa genetics but the striped has allways being a bit of a hassle to work out!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Currently the reverse stripe in boas is an unproven gene.
Most of the projects fizzled out and there are very few of these snakes around so trying to locate them for breeding isn't the easiest!
A lot of work to be done with them but its gota be proven if they are recessive, co-dom or dom yet.

First step is breeding a reverse stripe to a normal & seeing the hatchies, if all normals then its time to hold & breed back, if you get a stripe its a recessive it not then chances are it would be a line-bred, non-genetic & you would get some hatchies that are partially striped ect from breeding them and would be able to line-breed for better stripes.

To prove dom you would breed RS to normal which should give some stripes making it a dom... you would have to hold back & breed stripe to stripe & produce a super version to prove its a co-dom.

"Suspected" super version would need to go to a normal & produce 100% visual stripes before it could be proven as a co-dom.

Its a lot of work & projects just didn't really take off, am trying to locate some thou.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts