Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking after 5 gerbils while their owners are on holiday and one of the girls has eye problems.
They look very inflamed and sore, apparently they have seen the vet about it and the vet has pretty much said to leave it and the gerbil will get on okay despite the problem. I'm assuming some treatment has been tried not sure what.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of this with their gerbils maybe its something I can give suggestions to help.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My daughter had a gerbil with eye problems, one eye was very sore with a little discharge. The Vet gave her antibiotic eye drops for 2 weeks, we had to put them in twice a day. It cleared up well though, and she never had any other problems after that. It was caused by some sawdust getting into her eye when she was burrowing.

·
Registered
520 Posts
eye issued are normaly allergies, caused by the bedding the gerbil is on.

does it have any discharge from the eye at all.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently yes it does get some discharge and they said it just deals with it itself.
I did wonder about the sawdust. It's not my place to obviously treat it but I could change their bedding. What would you suggest?

·
Registered
520 Posts
what colour is the discharge.

if its white and yucky it will need anti biotic drops

if its red it likely to be an allergie.

if its an allergie will need to use something as dust free as posable. I mean if they are on saw dust just putting them on wood shavings can help.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The eyes look very sore and red I'm pretty sure he mentioned a white discharge.
They are on what looks like very fine stuff probably the block stuff you can buy at the supermarket.

·
Registered
520 Posts
if it a white its more likely an infection and should have had eye drops when the vet saw it.

carefresh seems to be good for allergies, anything paper based and dust free is good

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will change it over to paper based stuff and see if it helps and maybe suggest some antibiotics.
Other than one with the poorly eyes they are very good sized healthy gerbils.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts