Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting one for my fiance,(its anniversary prezzie) hes really excited! hes gonna call it Big nasty lol! my question is do you need uv for a bosc monitor? I don't think you do but you can never be to careful!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lizard_lover said:
dont no about the uv but congrats on the bosc lol
manda xx

oh thanks! my fiance is so excited, when it gets bigger we are going to let him/her have our spare room, I really like the way blazey has got his/her bosc loose thats really cool! :D

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AnthonyY said:
There a debate about this, some say you do, some say you don't, i never had it in with my bosc, but you should supply it anyway, as it wont do no harm :D

hmmm, yeah I know what you mean, I read stuff that says not to bother and it doesn't do anything but it wouldn't harm.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah thats what I meant really when it was really big but maybe not all day just for a few hours a day or so its getting a chance to run around. or just a massive viv! :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
congratz on getting a bosc!!! i've wanted 1 for a while now but probably will neva get one :cry:

how olds the one u'r getting for ur fiance?

i'll look around on interweb (lol) for opinions on UV lights for boscs

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neonius said:
congratz on getting a bosc!!! i've wanted 1 for a while now but probably will neva get one :cry:

how olds the one u'r getting for ur fiance?

i'll look around on interweb (lol) for opinions on UV lights for boscs

oh thanks, yeah I am really excited, its only a baby, its tiny! <3

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
We are using a reptiglo 8 for our bosc.
I cant actually imagine why they wouldnt need it.. its not like they live underground or in caves or are nocturnal in the wild so i dont understand why its a debate... guess cos boscs havent been kept under study without UV [inside...most big time monitor keepers and breeders are in warmer climates and keep them outside anyway.... so they get natural uv] long enough or often enough to determine the effects if any.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
hey its currently being researched actually the effects UV has on boscs. Boscs don't need UV in the sense that they wont get metabolic bone disease and other diseases without it but its been found the some boscs are behaving better when submitted to UV.

Dons never had UV, may possibly have some in the future, but ive never had problems not using it for him. Don't remember saying Don was very stressed in his room, think i remember saying he's been a bit aggressive recently due to lack of handling. Don actually led on my bed last night for a stroke to cheer me up seen as little Charlie died.
Don has had only a few days in his room so far so by rights this is still his adjusting period. Don is big enoguh for a room my size so there are no issues with him being scared of the large space, infact he seems to rather enjoy it, i caught him climbing up my wall yesterday.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool, yeah we just went and put a deposit on one until tuesday, hes got some really nice coloured ones, so prob get one like that, we have owned a bosc before so know what to expect with one!
my fiances is well looking forward to it, not sure weather hes getting uv for it or not but they have not got uv on them in shop! :shock:
I think the room idea is a good one and we will prob end up doing it when hes 3ft or more even if its just for a few hours a day as we have a spare room so he/she might as well have a much room as he wants or like I have said before maybe a room size viv ,would be cool!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i was going to get a huge viv for Don, 8x4x4 i wanted, with reinforced glass wouldve cost £400+.

the rooms free, larger than a viv could possibly be an its not hard to maintain at all.

Its Dons first birthday on the 16th August!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Blazeys room is great for her bosc and i really love the set up. I cant personally see anything wrong with a room set up for older boscs ours have access to a room 24/7 but have a basking station like blazeys although ours is a 6 ft viv instead of (not sure what you call yours blazey) the set up blazey uses and thats where their heat digging area and a huge great big rock is to bask on, along with uv which we do use ourselves as the research is newish and still being discussed/observed and no stone conclusion has been made yet (so for all i know i waste 50 quid a year on uv but until i know for sure i will keep doing it). but then again I do know people that have boscs with no uv and they are fine in themselves so i wouldnt like to make an opinion one way or the other, besides ours only get the uv when they are basking or digging or near their basking station. for the uv and heat we use a powersun but that will be changing to a mega-ray in the near future as our powersun is due for renewal.

Its great having them run around aint it I love walking into our guys room they are great i just have to watch my toes.

PS if you are going to have a viv get one with a nice deep front so you can put in lots of substrate for him/her to dig in, they love to dig their own burrows.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blazey said:
i was going to get a huge viv for Don, 8x4x4 i wanted, with reinforced glass wouldve cost £400+.

the rooms free, larger than a viv could possibly be an its not hard to maintain at all.

Its Dons first birthday on the 16th August!

I think your rooms cool, I will defo be thinking about that for when this ones a lot bigger as we have spare room, or like I have said before a room size viv! Happy birthday to don, lol!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
loulou said:
Blazeys room is great for her bosc and i really love the set up. I cant personally see anything wrong with a room set up for older boscs ours have access to a room 24/7 but have a basking station like blazeys although ours is a 6 ft viv instead of (not sure what you call yours blazey) the set up blazey uses and thats where their heat digging area and a huge great big rock is to bask on, along with uv which we do use ourselves as the research is newish and still being discussed/observed and no stone conclusion has been made yet (so for all i know i waste 50 quid a year on uv but until i know for sure i will keep doing it). but then again I do know people that have boscs with no uv and they are fine in themselves so i wouldnt like to make an opinion one way or the other, besides ours only get the uv when they are basking or digging or near their basking station. for the uv and heat we use a powersun but that will be changing to a mega-ray in the near future as our powersun is due for renewal.

Its great having them run around aint it I love walking into our guys room they are great i just have to watch my toes.

PS if you are going to have a viv get one with a nice deep front so you can put in lots of substrate for him/her to dig in, they love to dig their own burrows.

yeah I am gonna get lots of substrate for it, along with its new viv!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I bet you cant wait I was so excited when i picked up jo bless her cotton socks all those butterflys in my tummy just wanted to get out :D

lots of piccys please when she or he arrives if you dont mind pleeeease?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts