Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info on housing and thermostats, lighting and so on!

What should I get?

I have kept snakes in the past but never really used thermostats and lights!

·
Registered
283 Posts
with my geckos i use a heatmat that spans half the width of the viv...then i use a 100w heat bulb over the same side of the viv....giving the geckos are temperature variation. i put the light on a dimmer switch and regularly check the temperature and humidity using gauges. you can buy other more expensive kits than this which while regulate the temperature but i prefer the old fashioned method. i find its cheaper and often a lot easier to use!!
Spoon :-D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wicked cheers for the help! Do you by any chance have any pics of your setup? what size viv would you suggest for a leopard gekko?

·
Registered
283 Posts
all my setups are 2 ft by one ft, id say that you can house no more than 2 leos in that size viv. yeah i will post a picture of my setups if you give me 5 minutes mate.

·
Registered
283 Posts

thats the setup i would recommend mate. it normally houses my two female leos Echo and Fox.

this is a friend of mines old snake viv so its a little higher and it uses a ceramic heat bulb instead of a light. so iv created a light source using an aquatic strip light.

in my experience leos down climb very much so they do not need too much height in a vivarium. a 3ft tank is a lot better than a 2ft one mate they will be a lot happier in that setup.
the viv in your link is a superb home for a pair of leos. as long as you provide them with lots of hiding places and try to make the habitat interesting for them! there are a lot of much more experienced keepers on this site mate but iv never had problems with my leos. its worth getting several opinions though. hope all this helps you out mate. let me know how you get on setting up the viv!

·
Registered
283 Posts
my preference is calci-sand. a lot of keepers complain that the leos die from eating the sand but iv never had trouble with this. the only reason i can think of for a leo to resort to licking its own substrate is because it is lacking in calcium, which is why its important to dust the crickets, wax worms or meal worms that you feed to your geckos with a calcium powder. some people have told me before that you can use childrens play sand as a substrate...but i do not advise you in that option as it can bring all sorts of problems to your gecko.
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=205
i order everything i need. decor, substrate, vitamins, livefood and cleaning products from this website. www.livefood.co.uk.
of course the prices arent cheap but the happiness you get from keeping reptiles is priceless i can assure you :-D

·
Registered
283 Posts
anytime mate. pleased to be able to help
let me know how you get on!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turns out I might be about to pic up 2 females and a glass viv for around £100! :D

Will change to the wooden viv when I get them back here and settled tho!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
hmm, i dont really approve of calci sand. its not as digestable as it is marketed as. Play sand is safer, as its smaller as a particle substrate. as long as its not builders sand. i use paper towel, because its the safest optoin. Slate is a good option, conducts heat well. leos can get mouthfuls of sand when they strike at crickets...mealworms..waxies etc... its not primarily down to eating the substrate.

if you are gettin a leo younger than 6 months, then use paper towel, not any loose substrate

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i agree with K sand of any sort really is not a good idea, the funny thing is if you were to do some research into where they come from you would find out the substrate although sand based is set hard like rock because of the heat so they would'nt naturally be walking through something soft like sand anyway! I collected large flat sided pebbles (stones) from beach scrubed in a bleach solution and boiled them to get rid of any bugs and kinda made a patio in her viv which is glass with mesh top by the way and if thats what you get with these two your thinking of getting you dont have to change to wooden one both work well infact ones with mesh tops help due to increasing air circulation although they need a humid hide to help with shedding they don't need a humid viv. I used eco earth (coconut fibre, forest bedding)it has lots of names lol) to put inbetween stones and this seems to work really well, no chance of impaction as K mentioned its not that the gecko will eat the sand its actually when they strike for their food and tend to get some substrate aswell built up over time this can lead to impaction...anyway enough of that you want advice not rambling :wink: leopard gecks temps want to be about daytime 75-77f cool end and 84-87f hot end with a night time drop of about 70f, you should provide them with hides at both ends and a humid hide at the hot end to help with shedding (just pop some spagnum moss or kitchen roll and spray with luke warm water to dampen) mine sleeps in hers all the time)..i feed mine around 8 each night as they are nocturnal and vary it with crickets, silkworms and the occasional waxworm as a treat and dust them appropriatly with vits and pure calcium..i use a heatmat and a 60w bulb during day and this gives good day temps and just use the heat mat anight, i would recommend a thermostat for both but if finances don't allow it yet you really must keep a close eye on temps as they can flucuate alot in these weird weather were having at mo.....I hope you love you new gecko as i do, they are just the most adorable ickle things and once they get used to you they will as mine does come up to glass as if to say let me out i then open viv and out she pops on hand and spends most of her evenings on my shoulder staring at the pc screen lol.... :D

just a finall note you will never get all to agree so you should do it how it works for you as long as you get the basic temps, food,and dusting powders right you on your way....

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
PLEASE, Leos are small, and have smaller guts

Dont use sand, and DONT EVER use calci sand, leos will sense they need calcium and will get it from where ever they can, so if its in the sand, thats what they eat.

Just but a small dish od calcium powder in there

Yeah, sure there are those who have not YET had a problem, but leos intanal balance can be affected by many things, so calcium levels may drop suddenly and before you know it they got a belly full of sand.

Its just not worth the risk, IMHO

Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts