Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdee :)

Well where do i start :)

Ive just started work (Saturday Job) and ive got enough money to buy me something nice. So i want a tortoise :)

SO i need a few Tips. Im looking to buy a tortoise as a baby, wanting it to last with me :) Ill be able to put it in the garden for a few hours aday, and i will most probably sit with it as the next door neighbours cat is a right pain, and i dont want him being pesterd. But he will spend most of the day indoors.

So please give me a breed type, and tell me what i will be needing to look after the little chap.

Also, if you could link me what is needed(Like to a shop)

Thank you for all your help :)

Nathan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, Seen there is a different part of the forum meant for these topics

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
You're fine posting in here Nathan and :welcome: to RFUK.

I might be about to disappoint you but no easy to keep tortoise will be happy kept inside for the majority of the time. All the 'beginner' species thrive being outdoor from May to September in this country. The best species for you would be a med tortoise (hermann, spur thigh, marginated, horsfield) but you need to do lots and lots of research before you think about getting one.

This thread has lots of links to useful information on feeding, selecting, housing etc:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/newbie-advice/112281-med-tortoises-useful-links.html

Have a read through all of this then come back and ask us again about the things you need clarification on.

For starters you'll need a tortoise table, basking light, uvb bulb, substrate, feeding slate, water dish (for inside) and a safe, secure enclosure (for outside). You'll also need to have access to lots of edible weeds/plants. The link above will tell you all about those things in greater detail.

Good luck researching. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) Thank you very much :)

Ive been round to my Local breeders house to have a look, ive seen the tortoise i would love :D but ill need a little more, so by the end of this month ill be able to pay for everything :)

But ive noticed that the tortoises parents have slight Pyrimiding, does this mean my tortoise will have this? or does the way i look after it affect it?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not too sure about pyramiding, but I just looked on this website and if the tortoise enclosure has high humidity, the pyramiding will decrease over time.
I also remember reading some where that it was down to lack of calcium, but I can't remember where I read it.
I'm sure someone with more accurate information will be along soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well ive made room in my garage, for my tortoise to live, i have a 1X1 Draw, normally under my bed, which i am going to Make a little higher, build a shaded area, and also clean out, because it has had books sat in it for a while, im going to use the idea of putting seed pots in it, and grow my own weeds as im in a new house, and it has a desiger garden, with plants which im sure my new addition wont be able to eat.

When it gets to cold, will i have to bring my tortoise indoors? will the garage get to cold? or will the basking lamp and UVB lamp be suitable?

Also i have found this on the internet. Tortoise Mineral Blocks - TMB its a Mineral block for a tortoise, does it work?

Thanks for all your help guys :)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I dont know about the mineral block to be totally truthful - whether they think to try it or not and I have never used one - I use nutrobal supplement and have had my tortoise as a 2 yr old and now shes 5yrs and shes grown appropriately and has a smooth shell and is bright and alert and active. Personally mine has always been kept in a vivarium and only outside during hot spring and summer days but thats just my personal preference as feel I have more interaction with her but I'm sure some-else will be able to answer you on that one

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
they need to be outside asin outside on your garden - not in your garage:) you need to build atleast a 5ftx5ftx2ft (LXWXH) prefferably wayyyy bigger secure enclosure, also whilst it is still a baby keep indoors:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
its 1mX1m which is like, 4ftX4ft, i could knock a side out, and make bigger, maybe 4ftX6ft. And i kno, i will be putting it outside as people have reconmmended it, and when my tortoise is bigger i will make an outdoor enclosure. But when it is winter, will i need to bring my tortoise indoors. like in the house indoors from the garage:)

As for the mineral block, i will most probs buy powdered supplements and brush them on the weeds. (Nekton-Rep)

Cheers guys :) i would be lost without this site :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Depending on your breed of tortoise, it will be hibernating in the winter.
However seeing as it'll be your first winter with your tortoise you might choose not to hibernate, like we did as we actually bought our tortoise is November.
If it goes outside during the summer, it can stay outside at night providing the temperature doesn't drop below 10 degrees.

·
Registered
343 Posts
During the winter, it will need a UVB bulb and a basking spot bulb.
A UVB gives the tortoise the nutrients from sunlight rays like it would in the wild, and a basking spot bulb is where it can go under to get it's body temperature up. However in the summer, if you choose to put your tortoise outside these aren't needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers :)

Is a normal spot light ok for basking?

and can you recommend a good UVB bulb, as i have come across a few different types. Thanks :)

Ive decided to buy all the kit first, and wait for the tortoise. More sensible :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
The best bulbs that people seem to be using at the minute are Powersun UV and Megaray bulbs - these have basking and UV combined so there is no need for a separate heat source.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What watt should i be looking at, im wanting to buy a hermanni.

:)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would say 100w for the enclosure your planning to have, then you will be able to achieve a suitable temperature gradient. You should have the bulb at one end of the table and get the temp to about 30 degrees C - at the other end you should aim for about 20 degrees C. These bulbs are expensive though! Some people prefer to use UV tubes which is what I will be using.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
:) Thank you very much :)

Ive been round to my Local breeders house to have a look, ive seen the tortoise i would love :D but ill need a little more, so by the end of this month ill be able to pay for everything :)

But ive noticed that the tortoises parents have slight Pyrimiding, does this mean my tortoise will have this? or does the way i look after it affect it?

Glad you've found a local breeder to buy from. The fact that the parents are pyramided doesn't mean your hatchling will be. Pyramiding is caused by a number of combined factors such as heat, humidity, poor diet and lack of calcium.

Well ive made room in my garage, for my tortoise to live, i have a 1X1 Draw, normally under my bed, which i am going to Make a little higher, build a shaded area, and also clean out, because it has had books sat in it for a while, im going to use the idea of putting seed pots in it, and grow my own weeds as im in a new house, and it has a desiger garden, with plants which im sure my new addition wont be able to eat.

When it gets to cold, will i have to bring my tortoise indoors? will the garage get to cold? or will the basking lamp and UVB lamp be suitable?

Also i have found this on the internet. Tortoise Mineral Blocks - TMB its a Mineral block for a tortoise, does it work?

Thanks for all your help guys :)
A piece of cuttlefish in the table and in your outdoor enclosure is what you need. You'll also need to dust (lightly) the weeds every day with limestone flour and nutrobal. You should be able to find plenty of weeds at this time of year, just be sure not to pick them from anywhere that they may have been sprayed with weed killer by the local council. If you go out once a week and collect a bagful they will last for a week in a damp plastic bag in the fridge.

Does you garage have any natural light? They do react to natural light as well as their basking lights. A garage may get too cold at the beginning of spring and end of autumn (when not hibernating). My table is in a conservatory and I have had to bring it into the lounge sometimes as the night time temps have dropped to low. Down to 10degs C will be fine though.

its 1mX1m which is like, 4ftX4ft, i could knock a side out, and make bigger, maybe 4ftX6ft. And i kno, i will be putting it outside as people have reconmmended it, and when my tortoise is bigger i will make an outdoor enclosure. But when it is winter, will i need to bring my tortoise indoors. like in the house indoors from the garage:)

As for the mineral block, i will most probs buy powdered supplements and brush them on the weeds. (Nekton-Rep)

Cheers guys :) i would be lost without this site :)
A 1m x 1m will be absolutely fine for a hatchling, plenty of room. Your hatchling can go outside this summer, there is no reason to wait until it's bigger. An enclosure as simple as a bed box with mesh over the top will suffice for a hatchling (it must have mesh over the top as birds are notorious for taking small hatchlings). Your hatchling will hibernate over winter.

What watt should i be looking at, im wanting to buy a hermanni.

If you're going for a combined mercury vapour bulb then a 100w. If you're thinking of using a separate basking and uvb the basking bulb should be 60w and the uvb 10%.

Good choice... hermanns are lovely. :flrt:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you ever so much :)

Im a little bit worried about a few of the tortoises at my local breeders, i pulled there leg like told to, but it didnt pull it back, it just looked at me and was like.. Eh? and i did it lightly, does this mean its reactions are bad?

Also if i feed it and treat it better than the breeder (not saying hes a bad one) will it have better reactions. im worried, i dont want to buy one that is ill.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Thank you ever so much :)

Im a little bit worried about a few of the tortoises at my local breeders, i pulled there leg like told to, but it didnt pull it back, it just looked at me and was like.. Eh? and i did it lightly, does this mean its reactions are bad?

Also if i feed it and treat it better than the breeder (not saying hes a bad one) will it have better reactions. im worried, i dont want to buy one that is ill.

LOL... I must be mad but I've just tried it with all three of my Hermanns - two are 9 months old and one is 21 months old and none of them reacted to having their legs pulled (gently). I'd say all three of mine are nice and healthy so it obviously isn't that good a selection method. ;) It's probably more to do with how used to human touch they are so I wouldn't let that put you off. Are the hatchling kepts in good conditions - were their tables clean? Have they had access to uvb and been given calcium and vit supplements? Have they been fed a good diet? Are they active and moving around? They're probably better indicators. How old are the hatchlings you've been to see?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
3 months, he hasnt had problems in the past with selling them.

they have a nice shell, no bumps.

They are very cute, and very active :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts