Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There must be an easier way!
I know i've had gecko's for a while now (getting a beardie soon!), but today I was just thinking "there has to be an easier way"

I usually tilt to box with the lid slightly open to avoid escapee's, and nudge them into the viv one at a time. This sometimes takes ages, and I do get the odd escape now and then. I'm not keen on grabbing them as
a) I'd have to lift the lid waaaay open to get my hand in
b) They feel horrible

Is there an easier method!?

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
I use plastic tweezers. I grab the crix and throw them in. I can get through a whole tub this way in like, 1 minute.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
There must be an easier way!
I know i've had gecko's for a while now (getting a beardie soon!), but today I was just thinking "there has to be an easier way"

I usually tilt to box with the lid slightly open to avoid escapee's, and nudge them into the viv one at a time. This sometimes takes ages, and I do get the odd escape now and then. I'm not keen on grabbing them as
a) I'd have to lift the lid waaaay open to get my hand in
b) They feel horrible

Is there an easier method!?
I have a cricket keeper. I have a margerine tub with a hole cut in the lid to accommodate the tube from the cricket keeper. I place the end of the tube over the hole, tap and remove the tube. In the marg tub I have dusting powder so I give the box a shake, then just take the lid off while holding the tub inside the viv and they all stagger out very dizzy.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i find that crix are wayyy harder to cach than hoppers thats why i started on hoppers and gave up on crix

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have my crickets in a faunarium with 4 tubes (similar to loo rolls) standing up, the crickets spend a lot of time hiding in the tubes so it makes it easy to just grab one of the 4 tubes and shake them into a bag (for dusting) or straight into the viv. I've heard mixed reviews of the Kricket Keeper (escapees ect) so I never bothered.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have my crickets in a faunarium with 4 tubes (similar to loo rolls) standing up, the crickets spend a lot of time hiding in the tubes so it makes it easy to just grab one of the 4 tubes and shake them into a bag (for dusting) or straight into the viv. I've heard mixed reviews of the Kricket Keeper (escapees ect) so I never bothered.

Thats a good idea! I'm gonna try that!

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Crickets, ewww.

I only use Locusts now, for smalls I put them in a faunarium, just take the lid of and chuck them in, they cant jump high enough to get out so they cant scare me lol.. then I chuck a load of calcium dust in and pop the lid on, give it a shake and they're all covered and then use 12 inch tweezers to get the bugger out one by one and chuck them in the vivs.

For large locusts I grab one at a time with the tweezers, dunk it in the calcium powder then throw to the dragons lol.. such a wuss!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hmm this is getting to me, some of you keep 20 ft burmese pythons yet you are squimish over a insect the size of your thumb nail which can hardly bite ... :lol2:

I just grab the cricket and pop it in the viv ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts