Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have been researching bearded dragons now for a solid 6 months and have a good idea about them. I have recently put down a deposit for 2 female sister bearded dragons which I will collect on the 27th June 2021 can't wait. I live lizards there amazing animals.

just wanted to introduce myself

I'm Will 33 from Norfolk. I have wanted a reptile of my own for so long I remember when I was living at home I suggested this to my mum and she wasn't having any off this and now the time has come where I have bought 2 female bearded dragons so I'm super excited.

many thanks guys just wanted to introduce myself 馃榾

Super Moderator
Have a read of the Stickies at the top of this section (Lizards).

If you are housing them together they may well not get on and will need separating.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have lived together all there lives and there a friends never attacked each other. Yes lizards that's what bearded dragons are ain't it???

Registered
If you have done 6 months of research you will no doubt have come across the fact that Bearded Dragons are solitary animals they should not be kept together. Just because they have 'got on fine' so far, doesn't mean they always will. It also doesn't mean that the previous owner is just missing all the subtle signs of domination and stress that will be occuring in the enclosure.

If you are insistent on keeping them together, the enclosure needs to be more than twice the size of a minimum recommendation, I'd say 3x (so at least 8x2x2ft going by the old school enclosures recommendations, but closer to 10x3x3ft by the newer standars, and 15x3x3ft to be sure they will be fine), with multiple basking spots so they never have to share, and plenty of cover to break lines of sight.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't understand this just wanted to introduce myself and everyone jumping down there throat at me. Thanks alot! If they do start fighting I will have to rehome one of them!!

Registered
This is a forum were experienced members of the community can assist and advise less experienced members, so that they do not make the mistakes that were made in the past. Honestly, I think everyone that's been on this forum a while will no doubt have seen people come in saying their beardies are getting on fine, and very few of those beardies will then have been kept together for life. Rather than react to a bad situation, take the advice of people that know what they are talking about, and be proactive by keeping them seperate.

No one is trying to jump down your throat, but the welfare of the animals you keep, trumps your feelings. I've seen it too often where people have tried to tread softly round the issue in order to spare keepers from feeling attacked, and then been completely ignored. Most of us are blunt, because the health and safety of animals is of paramount concern.

Registered
I feel sorry for your animals if you cannot see past your own ego to do the best for them.

Registered
Can't understand this just wanted to introduce myself and everyone jumping down there throat at me. Thanks alot! If they do start fighting I will have to rehome one of them!!
Not a single person on this thread has jumped down your throat. In fact, I think you've received some very helpful advice and input which will aid in providing these animals with the best life - We are a forum full of experienced keepers whom put the welfare of reptiles at the top of our priority list. As brilliant as it is that you are finally getting a lizard, it's not brilliant that you have not taken into account co-habiting may not work to which you have responded 'I will have to rehome one of them' - Not brilliant when there is an abundance of bearded dragons already desperate for new homes because owners no longer want them or did not research there requirements thoroughly enough and have found out it's too much to handle.

If you are truly set on them co-habiting, you will need a much larger enclosure (as Tarron mentioned) and will need a spare enclosure to hand in case you need to separate in an emergency.

Reactions: Tarron
1 - 11 of 11 Posts