Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

At the moment i have snakes, but i allways wanted lizards as well.

(I normally only buy two or more of a spicies when i get new animals because i like them to have company when i am not home)

So right now i am in a situation, i thought of getting a Plated Lizards as i really like the looks of them and i like big reptiles, but i see the majority of the lizard people here recommend BD's as first lizard, so here is my question(s):

What is it that makes BD's the best first lizard?
Why not Plated Lizards?

Just need to know, this could have an effect of what i get, but still i really love the Plated once :), and ofc, i really like the BD s as well :D

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
IMO you can keep any lizard if you have read the right care sheets, and genarally now what you are doing. If you read lots of care on plated lizard and none on BD's you will find it easier keeping plateds.

My first lizard was an ackie....had no problems so far :D

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
i dont know realy there handable and realy active.

however wouldnt say there were easiest too look after.

if you realy want a plated lizard you should go for it.

they will probably be easier too look after lol

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
i think with the right amount of research you could get a plated lizard, there easy to care for and very tame. people say a beardie because they are easy to keep and dog tame. but i like plated lizards too, which species are you liking?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
yes if you realy like plated lizards you should get one..
weather people say beds are easiest or better or not. its what you think.

plus they look realy cool :D lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
which species are you liking?
I am not quite sure yet :p, but it will be one of thies:

G. major. Tawny Plated Lizard. Eastern and southeastern Africa. In excess of 50 cm (20"). Yellow to dark brown with or without black longitudinal stripes. Large component of this species is plants. Usually only 2 eggs laid.

G. validus. Giant Plated Lizard. Southern Africa north to Angola and Mozambique. Almost 70 cm (28"). Blackish brown with narrow bright yellow vertical stripes. Eats a large amount of plant material. Largest lizard in the genus.

:)

And thank you everyone for your posts :), this have made my sure i want Plated, and well, i will get some withtin the next month i hope ^^

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
majour plated lizards, my favourite, they are really cheap too!! only about £30 around here!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
majour plated lizards, my favourite, they are really cheap too!! only about £30 around here!
wow that is cheap! I think i can get them for 120£ for 2 here in DK... xD might see if i can find some other way to get them :), via a private breeder og like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts