Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so been after some beardies for months and finally custom built the viv, just waiting on the glazier to call for the glass. So hopefully next week we will be getting 2 babie beardies.
I would really love some tips on bringing babies home, what substrate, how long till we handle, feeding ect. Ive got there food chart from the forum on the notice board, know all the temps ect, just a bit of advice on settling them in.
Cheers in advance
Ooh and names would be good, so far we have fizz and gordon from the kids but not sure lol

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Hi.
So............ well.........
firstly baby beardies are the cutest, funniest things in the world so your gona have a great time with them.

All i would say is just chill with them, watch them, dont go at them from above..they wont mind after a while anyway though... keep the voice nice and calm, if they arm wava arm wave back.
ER.... :S gone a bit blank... really i miss havin baby beardies around, im so jealous of the peeps here who have been breeding them... im sure yourl do a great job.

·
Registered
849 Posts
As a substrate i'd go for anything that isn't particle based. Spefically tiles, shelf liner, reptile-carpet, etc. These are all easier to clean and safer than any type of sand or grain substrate. I'd also make sure that your getting a male and a female or two females to minimise fighting, two males will literally kill each other, physically or just through lack of food etc. The most dominant (or larger) BD will get the most food, best basking spot, etc, and the other might not want to eat.

Good luck with your babies, they are great fun :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
when you bring your beardies home you can offer them some fruit and veg i'd say almost straight away, im saying this because this way you'll know if your beardies are familar with veg im sure you know that fruit and veg make up around 40% of your beardies diet, never give your beardie iceberg lettuce im sure you'll know not trying to insult you just want to make sure you know the basics ive had my beardie pebbles for 11 months now and she's nearly fully grown at a modest 2ft ive never had any hiccups with her so im sure im giving you sound advice, like mentioned previously be aware that your dragons may both be male if that is the case then they must be split up sometimes even to females can be abit rowdy with each other so just observe there behaviuor you'll know yoursef if there is a problem, beardies are so easy to handle you can handle them as soon as you get home they arnt the kind of animals that will shy away usually really hardy little dudes my beardie likes being stoked under her chin and she likes being itched on her back i tickle her belly she loves it im sure you'll be fine and have loads of fun with your lil dudes as far as names what bout pebbles and bam bam my beardie is called pebbles but i reckon i shuld have got another and called him bam bam feel free to use her name im sure she'd be chuffed to know another lil dragon was named in her honour ha ha as far as bam bam goes i think that suits a beardie down to the ground cos they are abit mad when they wanna be not in an aggressive manor i mean running round and jumping up to higher branches they are good climbers despite people thinking no branches are needed in the vivarium or what bout sunrise and sunset due to their lovely orange to yellow colour under the chin (beard) and down the back depends on what phase you go for anyway hopethis post gave you something useful i feel like ive waffled on anyway ha nevermind thats what its here for init x

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Those where the days, they grow so fast. :lol:

I kept mine on desert corn cob first then playsand ever since.

but really they grow so quickly, I miss how small my buster was. :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I keep my rankins on newspaper and lots of folded paper towels (they enjoy burrowing under them to sleep). I don't like the idea of using sand or loose substrate as I'm worried they'll accidentally gobble some up and ingest it with their locusts. During the day they sit on their rocks and driftwood anyway mostly. Sand does, of course, look nicer - but I'd rather be safe than worrying about them eating something unsuitable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts