Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm getting a couple of giant snails later this week and was just wondering if anyone has any advise for me please

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
well i keep mine on coir (eco earth, forest bedding)all same thing just differant names) they like a piece of bark so they can bury under, they eat a variety of veg and fruit cucumber being their favourite, also pop a piece of cuttle shell in for them to nibble on this gives them the calcium they need for their shell...daily warm water mists..and thats about it really..enjoy :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! :D

G

·
Really easy to look after and in a couple of months if adults you will have babies as well.As Nicky said fresh veg daily with a warm misting and cuttle fish for calcium and you cant really go wrong.

With the cucumber i used to just cut one in half and they would eat a furrow out of it.I used to use things like coliflower greens etc and try to stay away from soft veg

·
Registered
248 Posts
-use a good quality soil (John Innes No 3 has less mites apparently, so I use that)

-if you get more than one snail they could lay eggs at any time once their shells get to around 10cm wide. Check for eggs VERY often as they hatch within days and you don't want 400 baby snails to rehome!

-you can freeze the eggs for 24 hours to dispose of them

-change the soil once a week

-add a shallow reptile water dish (or one with steps sold in reptile shops), but this is optional.

-feed fresh fruits and veg once a night. they even like chicken! don't feed them anything containing salt though obviously ;) I use a plant pot dish to put their food in so it's easier to remove the uneaten food later.

-spray their tank with water every night

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool! thats a great help, can't wait to get the lil buggers, i gettin 2, picking them up at weekend!

·
Registered
248 Posts
great :) they're so fun to watch and feed, let alone bathe! mine love being held near flowing tap water lol! (watch that temperature though ;) )

what are you going to keep them in? they grow fast! i changed the size of their tank three times lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a foot long plastic tank at the moment, they only tiddlers so hopin not to have to change it for a bit!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice one! :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
They're lovely my two A. fulica breed every month lovely babies some pet stores are welling to take some so I'm happy about that!
Good luck with them if you leave the two together they can keep sperm for up to 2 years so be ware of them! :shock:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How moist do they like the soil to be? and how warm?

·
Registered
248 Posts
just give the tank a couple of sprays every night. don't make the soil wet as such though. I spray mine around the sides so they can get condensation off of there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
how and mine seem happy enough above my snake tank and get their heat from that. my bedroom's always quite warm anyway. for normal rooms not as stuffy as mine though I'd reccommend a small heat mat placed under a third or maybe half the tank. they seem to do better when they have the choice or being warmer when they wish.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:D I'm well impressed with my new lil buddies, they're really cool!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
They're lovely :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How fast do they grow? mine are sooooooo small at the moment!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Quite fast mine doubled in sized over summer,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Coooooooool

1 - 20 of 20 Posts