Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon aquarium that I want to put two Giant Day Geckos in but I still have a some questions about a few things.

I don't have a cover for the aquarium yet so I was wondering if there were any hoods specifically made for GDG. Something that has the right type of lighting and heating for them so they have a basking spot and the other lighting they need. If people could post pictures of the type of covers and lighting/heating they use for their GDG that would be great.

I plan on adding live plants to their setup and I would really like to add an orchid to the setup. I was just wondering what types of orchids do best in a GDG's setup. Here is a list of the other plants I am considering adding-Bromeliads, Pothos, Sansevieria, and Crotons.

Does anyone now of some good Madagascar Giant Day Gecko breeders in the USA? I don't really want to buy my geckos from places like LLLreptiles or backwaterreptiles, I prefer to see the actual gecko I am purchasing. And lastly, would it be best to buy an already established pair of GDG or should I just buy two females of the same age?

·
Registered
347 Posts
OK - first things first, aquariums aren't really the best homes for day geckos - they need something that is vertically oriented as they like to climb, something front opening is much better - GDG's aren't the quickest (compared to other day geckos anyway) but they can still move - every time you open the lid you're in danger of one (or both) of them bolting! Something like an Exo terra would be better

They need high humidity - there's not many orchids that I've found that do well in Day Gecko tanks (and I keep a lot of orchids as well as day geckos) - only 2 things I've been successful with are ludisia and a Bulbophylum phalaenopsis that's mounted on a cork slab in a large tank - it gets sprayed off by the rain system then dries again quickly so it has conditions similar to its natural habitat. The other plants you list should be fine

Hood wise there isn't really a 'one size fits all' on the market so your best bet is to go with a 10% UVB tube across the tank with a piece of bamboo underneath it for the geckos to soak up the rays and a basking spot on a dimmer stat. If you then want something to help the plant growth just get a Jungle Dawn as well

If you're new to day geckos then definitely get a proven 1.1 pair (and ideally a pair that's been together for at least a full season) - keeping 2 females together will almost certainly just result in problems - they do better either on their own or as boy/girl pairings. Even with male female you need to be ready to separate - they can turn on each other. I don't keep grandis anymore but the last pair I had I had to separate after the male tore a big chunk out of the females neck! (I can probably dig a photo out of it if you want?). I've had to separate other species before as well - quads, GD's, williamsi etc etc - its just the way they are....., but the grandis always seemed to do the most damage for some reason

1 - 2 of 2 Posts