Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I am looking to buy giant spiny stick insects. I have a 30x30x45 terrarium. I am not sure on substrate as some sites say just kitchen towel and some say soil as they lay eggs in them. If I am buying nymphs do I still need soil? I have geckos, musk turtles and tree frogs.I have had Indian stick insects before and were really easy to keep, breed and maintain. I really like the look of these and can't wait to get them but need more info on them.

Thanks,

Marq

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So nobody on this forum has any info or can help? And I thought this was the section for invertibrates.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
They need humidity so it would probably be easier for you to give them a soil or Eco earth substrate

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thank you.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I put a thick layer of kitchen roll on the floor, make it wet, put a pot of water in there for the brambles to stand in, and mist a couple of times a week. Make sure you don't let mold grow on old leaves, it can get on the insect quickly. Also cut off any large thorns, or it can impale them.

I don't use a heat source as my room is pretty warm, she's grown really fast and laid a lot of eggs in these conditions.

Edit: I've found eco earth grows mold a lot quicker!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Eco earth is much harder to keep clean, kitchen roll is easy to replace and as said above it can be kept pretty moist. Do you have a scientific name for your insect as I can never remember which is giant spiny and which thorny?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Giant Spiny Stick Insect-Eurycantha Calcarata and also a couple of
Sabah Spiny Stick Insect-Aretaon asperrimus

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Giant Spiny Stick Insect also known ad New Guinea Spiny -Eurycantha Calcarata and also a couple of
Sabah Spiny Stick Insect-Aretaon asperrimus

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also new to eurycantha calcarata and like you have only had Indian stick insects before them. I'm hatching mine myself though and am hoping someone on here has a bit of experience with them as also have questions :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
When I kept mine I just kept them on kitchen roll as it was far easier to clean, when they are adult you could just pick the eggs out, then incubate them; I had no trouble with this method. Keep the bramble leaves in a glass of water (maybe cover the glass with cling film them poke the stalks through so the insects can't fall in), and spray every day/every other day.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have them all set up now. Two look huge and two a lot smaller. I have put some wet oasis in a jar and filled it with water, then the brambles in the oasis with the stems going through the oasis and into the water.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have them all set up now. Two look huge and two a lot smaller. I have put some wet oasis in a jar and filled it with water, then the brambles in the oasis with the stems going through the oasis and into the water.
As adults I know the males are a lot smaller if I remember correctly, how big are yours? :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I just got them and was told they are nymphs. The two smaller ones are about 3/4 inches long and the other two about 2 1/2 and 4 inches long.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Any chance of a picture? Unsure of I'm thinking of the right species :lol2:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep. Just refreshing my memory on how to. Lol.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Post on photobucket and post the image link as far as I know haha

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
Registered
723 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those will be the ones I am getting in a few weeks from a local breeder. The ones I have now are the New Guinea Spinies or Giant Spinies. I am sure they sent me two adults and two nymphs. I don't mind as they are cool. One of the large ones moulted the first night I had them and left the complete skin. Looks really creepy lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts