Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after three years of searching, several sleepless nights, and three hours in a car, I finally brought home a pair of Gonocephalus chamaeleontinus today. Long story short, I found a dealer's advertisement for these guys a couple days ago, the drive to pick them up was less than a day, and the setup came with the lizards. 400 dollars later (still worth it), these two are now sitting happily atop my desk.

Here are the pictures...for some reason I can't attach them so I'll link them instead. The male, the female, and their current setup.

Most if not all of the G. chamaeleontinus in the pet trade are wildcaught and imported - and here in America they're extremely hard to find. This morning was only the third time I've seen this species in person (and one of those times was in a zoo, so doesn't really count). And even then, those that do make it in are in bad condition, either dehydrated or parasitized, or often both. Thankfully though, this pair is in absolutely beautiful condition...no parasites, proper weight, and exceptional colors.

Care information is scarce with these guys but after searching the internet all the way to the last page of search results over the past few years, I think I've scavenged up enough to be able to adequately tackle these guys. With luck, after a little while I'll have enough experience with the species to write up a dedicated caresheet for chamaeleontinus - it would certainly save the next curious person a lot of trouble. :razz: And if any of you on the forums have questions about the species, I'll do my best to answer them now that I've got my hands on a pair.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congratulations on getting such a cool species. I've been breeding these in the UK for the past year and have distributed a fair few to various keepers over here. They are slowly gaining popularity despite the terrible reputation which is good but they are still a very high maintenance species and will never be for everyone! I was in your position a while ago- searching for them for ~5 years but it was all worth it in the end :p Now approaching around ten clutches produced; they are prolific once they get going!!

Reactions: Crimsonraptor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on getting such a cool species. I've been breeding these in the UK for the past year and have distributed a fair few to various keepers over here. They are slowly gaining popularity despite the terrible reputation which is good but they are still a very high maintenance species and will never be for everyone! I was in your position a while ago- searching for them for ~5 years but it was all worth it in the end :p Now approaching around ten clutches produced; they are prolific once they get going!!
If they do start breeding I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts