Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i was wondering what people find to be the best gloves to use, im not really worried about the pain from a bite but the fact that i would probably flinch and send poor little snaky across the room.

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
Thats what I am worried about, one of my corns is very strikey, and considering some gloves... lol, but would help me thinks

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I think you're more likely to damage the snakes mouth with gloves. A lost tooth, from getting stuck in the glove, could lead to infection.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they don't exactly have huge teeth do they, i was thinking rigger gloves as i can "borrow" them from work

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're more likely to damage the snakes mouth with gloves. A lost tooth, from getting stuck in the glove, could lead to infection.
yeh but with gloves i dont think i would flinch

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
This is true, but if the OP is worried about handling the snake and they feel more comfortable with a glove on then then as temp measure I would go for the glove, they can still damage their mouth without gloves but obviously its a reduced chance without a glove. Just be careful mate

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
It happens that quick, that you probably won't even realise you've been bitten before the snake has released, and biting into skin is a lot safer for the snake than anything else, the snake's teeth can enter and exit the skin easily, but could get caught in the weave of gloves. It's just my personal opinion. I'd rather reduce the possible risk of stomatitis and be a pin cushion. Don't get me wrong though, there is still a risk of tooth loss in bare skin.

I'd go for a hook if you expect a feisty snake. That way you can avoid being bitten, rather than take it and risk any damage to its mouth at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeh i think i will give it a little go, shes not as bad with me any more as shes settled in alot better but she still gives me the evil eye tho, also i may need to start handling the chameleon with some cloves as hes one stroppy little ****er

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It happens that quick, that you probably won't even realise you've been bitten before the snake has released, and biting into skin is a lot safer for the snake than anything else, the snake's teeth can enter and exit the skin easily, but could get caught in the weave of gloves. It's just my personal opinion. I'd rather reduce the possible risk of stomatitis and be a pin cushion. Don't get me wrong though, there is still a risk of tooth loss in bare skin.

I'd go for a hook if you expect a feisty snake. That way you can avoid being bitten, rather than take it and risk any damage to its mouth at all.
a hook is in my consideration but i would rather leave that as a last resort and whilst she is snall try and get her as friendly as possible

·
Registered
12,205 Posts

I agree about I would rather get tagged than risk my snakes health, and like kelboy says its usually quite quick and isnt too painful depending species/size. But the hook works great for some species and not so great for others IMO

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
a hook is in my consideration but i would rather leave that as a last resort and whilst she is snall try and get her as friendly as possible
I meant to use the hook as a way of safer handling and taming for both of you. Not as a permanent routine.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
plus with gloves on makes it harder to actualy handle the snake.

The best gloves are your bare hands in my opinion

·
Premium Member
5 snakes, a fair few spiders, 2 elderly horses, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,001 Posts
I think if you are more confident with gloves on then use them. After all, you need to enjoy handling your snake, and you will soon loose the gloves when you find your snake is fine without. I used to use marigold rubber gloves, they do a gardening version in black that are slightly thicker. I have read on threads here that snakes don't like to bite the rubber.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You have to ask yourself.....If I need gloves for my snake.....am I actually capable of keeping this snake ?
How much help would gloves be here ?
Paul

I disagree with your quote, how about the guys who keep venomous?

The OP hasn't said they are scared, they do not want to cause damage to the snake, via flinching.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use thick gaulets (excuse spelling) for hatchlings. To be honest you shouldn't really use gloves because they can damage the snakes teeth and mouth. however if your really concerned use a thick hide, there the best.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If you use gloves as has been said you may cause a tooth loss and all that may go with it, but my thing is if you get the snake used to you handling with gloves on then stop you are then changing the feeliing and texture to what the snake feels when it is picked up ie the feeling of a gloved hand over the feeling of a proberbly warmer and different textured bare hand, personally i would go with using the tap method then pick them out of the enclosure either with hand or as sugested with a hook

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I disagree with your quote, how about the guys who keep venomous?

The OP hasn't said they are scared, they do not want to cause damage to the snake, via flinching.
we use hooks mostly and its better in my opinion to use the bare hand rather than gloves when restraining a venomous snake as you can feel that you have control better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts