Reptile Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Death and brain damage are possibilities.
I'm well aware of this. ;) It's not like I started my job yesterday!

However, there are also risks from cats (especially if they have a litter tray rather than going outside), dogs (who lick themselves and then their owners) and all kinds of everyday hazards such as kitchen waste, poorly cooked food... the list is endless. My point is, as with any other animal or cleaning hazard- if managed correctly the risks of infecting a small child are low. Or are you suggesting that anybody who has ever owned a dog/cat/chopping board at the same time as an infant is somehow putting their child in terrible risk? ;) Because if so, I think I know a huuuge amount of people who would want a word with you about it. :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
You could just put your foot down and make the child do as they are told and go to bed.

Or

You could just put a empty viv with a full setup in the Childs room (rubber snake optional) just stick in a light bulb and no need for a stat.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Or

You could just put a empty viv with a full setup in the Childs room (rubber snake optional) just stick in a light bulb and no need for a stat.
I used to love my rubber snake when I was a kid. He was called Monty. :love:

Reactions: RADIOGAGAGA

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You could just put your foot down and make the child do as they are told and go to bed.

Or

When he cries its very loud and cries for a very long time. the neighbours wouldnt really appreciate it and either would our other kids.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm well aware of this. ;) It's not like I started my job yesterday!

However, there are also risks from cats (especially if they have a litter tray rather than going outside), dogs (who lick themselves and then their owners) and all kinds of everyday hazards such as kitchen waste, poorly cooked food... the list is endless. My point is, as with any other animal or cleaning hazard- if managed correctly the risks of infecting a small child are low. Or are you suggesting that anybody who has ever owned a dog/cat/chopping board at the same time as an infant is somehow putting their child in terrible risk? ;) Because if so, I think I know a huuuge amount of people who would want a word with you about it. :Na_Na_Na_Na:
Sorry I wasn't aiming the brain damage and death comment and you, it was for the op. What you're saying is true, however, I keep reptiles and I would not house them in a child's bedroom, it seems unprofessional to me. Many reptiles have salmonella in their gut, children put things in their mouths, I simply wouldn't mix the two regardless of it being unlikely. From a different angle, I prefer to let my reptiles have some peace and quiet to lower stress levels, and this is another reason I would not put children and reptiles In the vicinity of each other. Some people do it, and that is their choice, I don't have to because I have the space, so I don't for the reasons I've given. I'm not judging anyone, I'm simply saying I wouldn't and why.

Reactions: KathyM

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
This would probably be the best of both worlds, stick a rubber one or one of those big, fluffy snakes you get for kids, set it up in it's own viv etc and see if that works, if not there's no harm in sticking a corn in there if he only uses the room for sleeping...you could always put paper down or a rubber, washable mat on the floor when you clean them out.

Reactions: mitsi

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I'm not sure I see the difference between snakes in the sitting room and snakes in the bedroom, if the kid uses both rooms and vivs are securely locked

why is one a bigger risk than the other?

not trying to argue, just puzzled. If I missed just say so don't freak : victory:

I thought salmonella was contact transferred? the kid won't get sick breathing the same air as the reptile?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sorry I wasn't aiming the brain damage and death comment and you, it was for the op.
Then I apologise for being overly sensitive. ;)

EDIT: I've just realised that my rubber snake must have been called Monty Python. I'm nearly 30 and I never noticed that before.... :blush: He was given to me by my Dad, so clearly that was a little in-joke from my parents. Lovely. :lol:

Reactions: RADIOGAGAGA

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm not sure I see the difference between snakes in the sitting room and snakes in the bedroom, if the kid uses both rooms and vivs are securely locked

why is one a bigger risk than the other?

not trying to argue, just puzzled. If I missed just say so don't freak : victory:

I thought salmonella was contact transferred? the kid won't get sick breathing the same air as the reptile?
Thats why im asking about it. The salmonella thing is because the cleaning of the viv and feeding but as you said, it all happens in the living room at the moment anyway.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts

This is the best idea, imo. My kids are 5yr old and a 15 month old, and they have a full setup in their room. No animals or electrics, just a couple of toy snakes. It doesn't help them sleep or anything, my eldest just likes playing snake handler lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This is the best idea, imo. My kids are 5yr old and a 15 month old, and they have a full setup in their room. No animals or electrics, just a couple of toy snakes. It doesn't help them sleep or anything, my eldest just likes playing snake handler lol.
It is a good Idea. Might do that for the oldest. Hes 5 as well so its a good way of teaching him

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have kept reptiles for a very long time, and only ever had my first snake tested for salmonella, at the insistence of my ex-mrs' (There was a story in the papers at the time and she was worried about our son.) The snake tested positive and had to be treated.
I have never had one tested since, knowing what the outcome would be.
Neither myself or my son ever came to any harm from any of my snakes, and yet now I am a grandad, would I let my grandson (18 months) anywhere near the snakes? No way! :gasp:
The very old and very young are most at risk, so why chance it?

Still, they're your kids, its up to you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have kept reptiles for a very long time, and only ever had my first snake tested for salmonella, at the insistence of my ex-mrs' (There was a story in the papers at the time and she was worried about our son.) The snake tested positive and had to be treated.
I have never had one tested since, knowing what the outcome would be.
Neither myself or my son ever came to any harm from any of my snakes, and yet now I am a grandad, would I let my grandson (18 months) anywhere near the snakes? No way! :gasp:
The very old and very young are most at risk, so why chance it?

Still, they're your kids, its up to you.
Cheers Paul. This is why im asking the question mate. But again does that mean its a bad thing to keep reptiles in a home with kids or do you recommend keeping in a separate room where kids dont have access to? I have had snakes for 16 years now but never had any salmonella tests done before

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Do you use a light in the vivariums?

If so, it's far more likely he just likes he light. Not the reptiles.

Reactions: stark and KathyM

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Thats why im asking about it. The salmonella thing is because the cleaning of the viv and feeding but as you said, it all happens in the living room at the moment anyway.
Ok, anywhere you have reptiles and children, whether its bedroom or front room, you have the chance of the child coming into contact with the cage, bowls, spilt substrate, cage furniture. If the child is in the vicinity of the snake cage and all its contents you have the possibility for contact. I have a reptile room and all the reptile keeping stuff that goes with it is in there, I don't like my children going in there because I cannot monitor who is coming into contact with what, and nor can anyone else. Even if you lifted the entire cage out of the room and took it elswhere I would not do it. And as I said in an earlier post, I prefer to keep my reptiles in a place where they can have some peace, which Is another reason why I would not have children and reptiles permanently in the same vicinity. Why don't you contact a few reptile breeding facilities and ask them what their protocols are regarding children in their reptile areas. Just because some people do something at home does not mean it's acceptable.

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
I wouldn't do it.

If you have the health visitor round or he needs a doctors visit, it would certainly raise a few eyebrows.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I think how you phrased your post says it all really - Good or very bad idea. Obviously your choice but it is a case of 90% of the time it will be absolutely fine and harmless the other 10% it wont and do you want to take that chance? Think the rubber snake in the Viv is the best idea.

(PS stats pulled straight out my :censor: so dont take them literally)

:2thumb:

21 - 40 of 76 Posts