Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/default.php?cPath=24

is this a good price for pinkies?
its £2 poostage, and i know camzoo do pinkies cheap its just that, 50 pinkies might not last long enough with only 1 corn, ho wlong do pinkies last in the freezer?
and do you just store them by putting them in a sandwich bag, in a fish bait box?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well both my local rep shops sell pinks and fluffs at £1.75 for 5 ( 35p each )
With the site you linked to you can only get them for that price or cheaper if you buy in batches of 25 or more, then you have got your postage on top. So I would say thats quite expensive.

Maybe im lucky to have two shops in my town where I can buy food from so I just buy a pack of 5 each time and visit the shop on my way home from work when I need more ( like today ).

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Frozen rats/pinks etc last around 3 months inside a freezer. You have to be aware that 1 bag of pinks will probably arrive to you through the post defrosted as well mind...

I keep all my rats in a tupperware box in the top of my freezer. When I order I generally order enough for 4 mths tbh. I take the last lot then and put them into freezer/sandwich bags so they last a bit longer....

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you know a site where you can get about 10 pinks cheaply?

G

·
The problem with pinkies is that due to their size they do not take very long to defrost so if you order only pinks over the net then you are probably not going to get a very good price and your probably not going to get them frozen either.As for prices i cant really comment on that as i order all mine by the 100

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
do you know a site where you can get about 10 pinks cheaply?
If your only ordering 10 its pointless doing it over the internet. Plus if your only ordering pinks most places wouldn't do it because as said they will arrive defrosted. They only way to keep them frozen is by ordering other rats as well...

If you have one snake feeding pinks get them from you local rep' shop it will be much cheaper!

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with the reptile shop there they send them wiht ice packs will that kepe them frozen? but we live in hculmleigh the nearest place that sells pinkies is in barnstaple!and we dont go into town much.but maybe.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Well my honest opinion is no matter what you do pinks are likely to defrost through the post.. If you have to go to Barnstaple make one trip every 3 mths and get enough to last, it is only 4 trips a year!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Also make sure the box you use in the freezer is AIRTIGHT I have one that wasn't and I am damn sure they got freezer burnt and spoilt and that led to fluffy not eating.

A few pet shops around us sell mice but I stick to the rep shop I got him from.

Sounds Like it's time to hit the yellow pages :)

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep sure is! but i was wondering you know those airtight jars you get, for preserving could you put them in a sandwich bag in one of those?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
You could easily just use the air tight jar instead of the bags... Use 2 jars though and just open the one until its gone, then move onto the other!

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
It only really works out cheaply online if you're buying in bulk.. but you can usually order chicks which are cheap to try and keep them frozen. If you're only buying 10 I don't really think there's anything you can do that will stop them defrosting overnight unless you had like 100 chicks packed in there too, and even then I'm not sure it'd help.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could easily just use the air tight jar instead of the bags... Use 2 jars though and just open the one until its gone, then move onto the other!
What do you mena open one till tis gnoe, and then move onto the other?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
yeah...

don't break the airtight seal until the one is finished. if fresh air gets in they will go bad quicker

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh i see! if you have 3 jars wiht say 6 pinks in each when you open each jar evry tmie to get one out, you dont let air into allthe other pinks, only the ones your using and will be finished using soon!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i don't hink all this 3 month business is really true. some frozen food in my freezer has a sell by date for the middle of next year.

by the way, camzoo and honeybrook are are much cheaper than livefoods. you can buy 50 pinkies for about 7 quid on camzoo

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes that is true, but one conr hatchling wouldnt eat 50 pinks in 3 months(im not risking keeping htem onger than 3 months) ill just go to the nearest petshop20 pinks, put them in the jar method, as welsh gaz mentioned .simple.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I get 10 at a time

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
i don't hink all this 3 month business is really true. some frozen food in my freezer has a sell by date for the middle of next year.

by the way, camzoo and honeybrook are are much cheaper than livefoods. you can buy 50 pinkies for about 7 quid on camzoo
Yeah I think they can go longer than 3 months... I've eaten chicken etc out of my freezer thats been in there 6 mnths or more and never had a problem! I tend to keep mine around the 4 month mark though....

oh i see! if you have 3 jars wiht say 6 pinks in each when you open each jar evry tmie to get one out, you dont let air into allthe other pinks, only the ones your using and will be finished using soon!
TO be honest its only worth separating them into jars if you going to buy loads... if your buy 10 at a time don't worry about it they'll be gone before they even start to go bad!

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
I've eaten food that's been in the freezer a year and it's still tasted good.. I thought that the issue with length was not that it was that bad for you, not going to make you throw up or anything, but that the longer it's in there, it gets freezer burn and it begins to lose the nutrients, so it might taste almost the same but all the vitamins, minerals, all the goodness isn't really there anymore.

I doubt giving a snake a mouse that had been in a freezer for more than 3 months would have a noticeable effect at first.. but if you consistently fed food that had been frozen for extensive periods of time you might start to notice some problems, lack of growth, lack of calcium (which can lead to egg binding in snakes so even though you dont add extra calcium, they do need those vitamins from the bones of the mice), etc.

Just my opinion though - I personally wouldn't risk it with my snakes, and I only order from a wholesaler that I know freshly freezes all it's supplies, so it's not sitting in a freezer for 6 months before i buy it, which can be a risk if you buy from a small reptile store that doesn't sell that much frozen but buys in bulk.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts