Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

does anyone have any info on Gopher Snakes?
I am hoping to breed a pair of Gopher snakes I have and was wondering if the method was similar to breeding corns?
What is the minimum age/size for safe breeding

regards

John

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I havent kept gophers but had a breeding pair of bulls which are very similar so I will have a go at helping.

They are pretty similsr to corns to breed but I would cool them cooler than a corn (Im thinking 50-55F). Im honestly not sure about size as the gophers are smaller than bulls anyway, so I wont guess.

I dont know if you already use the resource but this is a good site for info on all pituophis: http://www.kingsnake.com/pituophis/species.html

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

yeah , already use that site thanks.
Just thought there might be someone here with first hand experience

thanks anyway

John

ps. at what age did your bulls breed?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I expect theres someone lurking thats bred gophers... just gotta find em! :lol:

The female was 3 when she laid her first clutch (1st clutch wasnt with me though).

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i have gophers, hoping they will breed this coming year though the male is a bit small maybe..

i'd go for 3 years, and about 350g in wieght, for the female, the male he can breed from 18 months... hes not the one carrying the eggs!

this is my female

and my male is a hypo stripe, het albino..

as to how i was going to do it, i am just going to take them both out of their vivs, and put them in one viv together and see what happens!

Nerys

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ta :)

the male has grown a fair bit actually, i should get some new ones...

still not sure he is big enough to do the job yet, but its always worth a go!

there are some very nice colour morph gophers about :)

N

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Nerys said:
i have gophers, hoping they will breed this coming year though the male is a bit small maybe..

i'd go for 3 years, and about 350g in wieght, for the female, the male he can breed from 18 months... hes not the one carrying the eggs!

this is my female

and my male is a hypo stripe, het albino..

as to how i was going to do it, i am just going to take them both out of their vivs, and put them in one viv together and see what happens!

Nerys
Lovely :D
I was offerd a pair of hypos the other day in swapfor my royals, but unfortunatly there sold now. They were gorgous tho 8)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
dude, you gotta speak to the main man.. AL... he knows some serious stuff about these

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Nige

yeah I know Al , but dont think he comes on here.
Cant seem to contact him by phone, might just have to go see him

John

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
he goes on livefoods mate, have a word with him on there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts