Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My royal is finally eating on a regular basis (every week she is taking a mouse - albeit live) and I would like to add some lighting into the viv so that I can actually see her. At the moment I have a UV tube but haven't had it lit for ages because I thought it might have been freaking her out.

Would it be safe to put this back on or should I get some other type of lighting system?

Any ideas welcomed.

Cheers.

Inky

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
if you use a red bulb they cant see it! - obvioulsy your gonna have to be careful that you dont mess up the temps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you get red tube lights? If so, where from? Also, how would it screw up the temps? Couldn't I just lower the thermostat on the ceramic bulb unit or is it more complicated than that?

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
how about blue moonlight l.e.d.s , no heat, waterproof and dont think snakes see it

old pic of unfinished vivs but u get idea

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
take out ceramic bulb put a red spotlight bulb in holder that will give u ur heat and light job done u dont need a uv light for royals

·
Registered
347 Posts
If u get a UV light make sure u get a guard for it, i dont turn mine on for my corns because they tend to wrap round it when i put them back in their viv.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'd stick with the ceramic if you have the correct temps with it, if it's on a thermostat adding a light shouldn't affect things anyway as the stat would keep the correct temp.

I'd get rid of the tube light fitting altogether and just fit something else for light only (that doesn't give off much heat)... either a standard bulb fitting with pygmy bulb (these still get warm but you can make a simple guard from half a mesh bird feeder!), or a gold ball light gives off no heat as far as I know, or LED lighting like above.

Royals don't need UV, so if it's just a light for you to see by fit something that does the job and don't leave it on all the time - it's for your benefit, not the snake's.

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
If you use the long life bulbs they are only 9-12W and don't get hot enough to burn. You can hold them in your hand even when they've been on all day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts