Reptile Forums banner

Got my first ever reptile, need help with humidity issues

235 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BeaValadas 
#1 ·
Hello, I've been looking for forums where I could share my experience with my newly aquired leopard gecko, which is also my very first pet reptile.

I aquired the gecko yesterday,27th of July (2020) and I've been having some issues related to the humidity of the tank. I've places him in a medium sized aquarium that I'm temporarily using before getting an appropriate vivarium for him. I've been told this isn't an issue as he's only 2 months old.

In his tank I've placed 3 shelters, a warm one, a cold one and a humid one with eco earth in it. The rest of the tank is covered with kitchen paper. I've got a heating mat covering about half of the bottom of the tank, and a bowl with water, a bowl for food and a small bowl for calcium.

Yesterday night, when I got him, the humidity of the tank was at a stable 40% (maybe a little over 40%) and this morning it jumped to 55%, then consequently 57% and it stayed like this until now.

In the meantime I've put a small sock filled with rice in the tank and bought a dehumidifier that I've placed next to the tank. These don't seem to have made much of a difference just yet.

I know that 60% humidity is not right for a leopard gecko, and the last thing I want is for him to be unhealthy & unhappy, therefore I would really appreciate any tips and help you might have for me to be able to make the humidity a little lower.

Thank you in advance!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.