Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after much searching and lots of patience, fresh on the order to this morning at Northampton reptile centre, was my Giant desert hairy Scorpion H Arizonensis Penny brought it for me, got her home put her in very carefuly(dont wanna take a sting from it) and tried wih food and BAMM straightaway using pincers AND sting took a locust/hopper.
Here it is after dragging the locust into its hide

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Great looking scorpion there mate, i love them and was thinking about getting one myself one day.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do it mate, you wont regret it mate, only thing i say is be bit wary,as the agression is bit more than the imperator.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
yer, iv read that they are a little sting happy. what is their venom like? i was looking to see if i could find someone to supply me a fat yellowytail, but after reading loads about them i made the decision that im not ready for something so dangerous. i did however get told about the desert hairy. i think they are a beautifl species.

Oh, and how much did s/he set you back?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She cost me £19.50 and they had 2 in there, im sure they courier their livestock out too, give them a ring, website is reptilecentre.com

Venom is not deadly but painful hence the popular comment of painful sting.
Substrate wise, is just sand, with a hide, try to think of arizona desert when making the environment, they like heat so coukld use a spot lamp aswell to give it the boost, but a lot of care sheets do say humidity can kill them so i dont spray just a shallow water bowl is enough, as they get a lot of their water from their prey. As for hide i used half plant pot something i can usher it into and cover the open up with when i want to do maintainence.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
All they needs is sand and a few places to hide. they dont need misting or a water bowl (all the time one day every 2-3 weeks will do) as all there fluids come from there prey. The heat needs to be about 80 degrees. they tend to come out of there borrows more so for that reason i'd say there a better specimen to keep as a pet then an emp. as for the agression side of thing there no worse then a red claw. but they are very sting happy!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
With any venom, it can be fatal to someone if they dont realise they have an allergic type reaction to it. Should always be cautious around anything with venom if you have never experienced a venom type sting, just in case you react badly. Venom may be weak but you cant guarantee its reaction to your body.

Luke its very nice, is it one of those that really look hairy when u look down on them, like you could stroke them :lol:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah think it may be a locust thing, as it was still putting up a fight so down came the telson like a sewing machine needle and just as quick also.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Emperor Angel said:
enlightenment said:
Tsk, I am going in a huff, no one has answered this...

Wonder if it would eat one of these....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduviidae
After ringing around a few reptile shops im getting the same answer, no i wouldnt feed one of these to my scorpion as they are VERY toxic
Hey, thanks for that.

:wink:

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Has an after thought.....????

Scorpions eat other species of scorps do they not? I once fed an assasin bug to a praying mantis, didn't seem to harm it. Perhaps the toxin of the AB is only bad when it bites it's prey, rather than when it is eaten?

Thoughts...?

:?:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You could be right, i wouldnt rule it out that if an AB was to pass a scorp hide in the wild, that the scorp wouldnt have a go at it, now its down to wether which would win the battle as with ALL feeding fights in the wild.

Venom wise if we look at snakes like the cobra they are immune to their venom like other vipers so in a fight you will usually get a case of asphysiation first from one of the snakes. I have watched a documentary before showing a snake showing curiosty in the scorpion and being stung yet it didnt seem to show effect bearing in mind the snake was a western diamondback.

All i say is go with your instinct, i myself wouldnt bother if i had other choices which i do ie crickets, locusts, mealworms, pinkie mice etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
nice 1 mate

nice scorp arnt they i used to have 1 but mine died about 6 months ago through my little brohter thinking it was good to put a barral cactus in the inclosure wilst i was on holiday i lookin to get another 1 but have only fownd a pregnant 1 so i gotta wait then ill have about 5 of them :p lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts