Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help, i have looked into buying dome granite royal pythons on the internet, and someone mailed me these pics (pritavte sale) are they granites, cos to my (untraind) eye they look fairly normal. and how much would you pay for them, they are an unrelated pair, and around 3 foot long male and female. thanks

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
thats the problem, the untrained eye mate.. as far as i am concerned theres about 20 normal royal morphs lol.. but you speak to the people that breed them and they will tell you why they are differen.t

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i know, could you point me in the direction of a trained eye, i know ur good at the corns, so mayby, u know som1 equally as good, but with royals ?? :)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
someone wil come along mate.. theres a few on here that will be able to help.

·
Registered
641 Posts
They look nice from the pics you posted and you should probably expect to pay the same as the going rate for a 'normal' pair... As I said though, they're good looking snakes so if you're happy with the price they're asking for then go for it :D

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
To be quite honest, they don't look granite to me. Specially if compared to the granites on that link Sara posted.

They look just normal royals. I'm not into genes too much, I could be that they have a bit of granite blood on them, but by these pictures it's hard to tell.

Recently Oli (Crassus) was offering a similar snake (which he offered as granite) for £ 140.00. He said he's not sure, but since there are a few speckles to it, he believes it has granite genes on it.

To be on the safe side, I'd not pay more than £ 160.00 for the pair.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aha, thats what i have been waiting to hear, and i was this close to paying £200 lol, i'll look for a better buy then...

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
If he's asking only £ 200.00 for the pair, it's an indication he knows they are not true granites, because the granites like those in the link can fetch a substantial amount of money.

Also, I noticed you mentioned they are about 3ft long, so they are still very young. If they were already ready to mate next season, it could be worth £ 200.00, because if you were lucky you could get some snakes resembling granites, and even if only normals hatched, you could still get your investiment back with no major problems.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The 'granite' genes are homozygous so if you breed a visually granite snake you would expect to get half the babies with a similar amount of speckling :)

The problem however is there's the genetic co-dominant granites who produce heavily speckled and similarly patterned young, and then there's normals who just have a few specks on them that can be referred to as granites as well. These normals can be selectively line bred to increase the pigmentation but that will take a LOT of time and effort to produce a snake that isn't really that appealing in all honesty :roll:

What you have to watch out for is people trying to sell these normals as something special. Would you really want to pay out extra for a snake that has the capability to produce more snakes with one or two specks on the lighter tones of it's body? :?

I'd say £200 isn't too bad for a pair of 3ft royals. Sure you could pick some up for £40 or less, but they would be hatchlings. The ones you've been offered are well grown on from the sounds of it... Do you know their weights? :?:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
apparently they dont have scales (weighing scales, not the snakes :lol: ), i thought that sounded funny. at the moment i am looking to get somthin (snakes) that can give me a clutch of eggs this year, i cant wait to be a proper "daddy" and althought none of mine atm will breed for at least a year, i have already set up an incubator, i just think the babies are sooo cute.

what size. age will breed, for a female royal, and a female corn?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think Nige has some adult corns for sale, they could well breed for you next year 8)

Royals you're looking at 1200g minimum for the females and preferably 1500g. People have bred them at 1000g but it's not really fair on the snake to put it's body through that kind of energy expenditure if it's not fully grown yet...

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is the weight for corns simaler, i would presume so because althought they are thinner, they are longer...but what do i know?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm not a corny person so I'm not too clued up on them :roll:

Just saw on the other thread that Dexter may be able to help you out though... :wink:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oldelpasso, you seem to know ur stuff :) so what would you say would be a good investment snake(royal)? i cannot afford to spend more than £300 on a morph, and a domanant gene would be good cos then i could borrow a normal on breeding loan :)
the ultimate investmen would be prob be a pair of mojaves??? i'll keep it in mind case i win the lotto
and finally how much for a proven female royal, normal phase, cos i seen some very cheap, and i think i just turned down a reallygood offer :(
cheers.
Dan

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
For corns, apparently they use the 333 rule. That is, 3 years old, 300 grams and 3 foot long minimum. But normally people wait until they are heavier and longer than this.

I'm not an expert in breeding corns, but when I got my anery, she was well grown on (already fully grown and about 5 foot in length).

I haven't cooled her (only the normal drop at winter, so she's now being kept at about 75 C). So I'm not entirely sure she would be Ok to breed, although I'd not mind to stick a male with her by the end of feb and give it a go.

I paid £ 100.00 because I trusted the person who sold to me, and I new she was a proven breeder. Let alone the fact that she's a beauty and the tamest snake I've ever seen.

That's her when she laid her eggs:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
darkdan99 said:
apparently they dont have scales (weighing scales, not the snakes :lol:)
Sorry, could not leave this uncommented on, that was funny :lol:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
darkdan99 said:
wow, thats a pretty corn and a nice clutch, out of interest what was the outcome(morphs)?
I'm not entirely sure, because I think they were all sold by the time I got her. I know for a fact that all the 16 turned out to be healthy and perfect.

But I think it would be nice to breed her with a male anery, and keep them pure, because she's really special.

That's another picture of her laying her eggs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts