Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering whether i could feed grass hoppers i have caught from a local field, to my bearded dragon. I know the field isnt farmed so no pesticides will have been sprayed on them. Also will he catch parasites from them?

Thanks

hugh

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wild-caught insects aren't recommended. Pesticides is one reason, but I think there's also a risk of parasites and disease. I used to use wild-caught years ago (the 70s), when I knew no better. Now? I wouldn't risk it, personally.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was thinking this the other day, as I have a National Trust field and area behind. They only mow the grass every so often, was wondering if the grasshoppers would be any good also, National Trust area might be ok?

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I was thinking this the other day, as I have a National Trust field and area behind. They only mow the grass every so often, was wondering if the grasshoppers would be any good also, National Trust area might be ok?
as Quiller said earlier there's still the risk of disease/parasites .... it may not be sprayed with pesticide etc but any and all local wildlife will have used it as a toilet etc ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts