Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted this basking by the pond when I came home for lunch...

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It must be, there are at least 3 of them living around the pond and I often see them in the water hunting newts.
Or house is next to the river on what was once a water meadow, it's still quite wet in places with drainage ditches and ponds, so it's not surprising there are lots of grass snakes around.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
You're so lucky to have a wild snake in your garden- I've never so much as caught a glimpse of one, even down here in Cornwall. I've never seen an adder either. There is a grass snake at College (I'm an animal care student), in a collection of native cold-blooded animals.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
thats fantastic, what i would give to have those on my door step, oftern see them swimming when i go fishing, as well as all the other native reptiles, posted pics a couple of weeks back.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
we are lucky to have wild grass snakes on our farm they breed in the muck heaps, and visit the garden regulary. this one got caught in my pond net

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first summer we were here I witnessed several hatchling grass snakes wriggling out of the compost heap, I don't think it had been used for some time, but now we use it a lot so I assume the snakes don't lay there any more. I should really start a second heap and just leave it for them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
haha very nice

there are tons of copperheads that roam around my OH moms pond here in texas...they are snappy little things

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
good pics :)

We regularly have grass snakes round by us, but I'm never fast enough to get a pic of one before it flees in fear.
Nearly stepped on one the other week. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts