Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it probably is a stupid idea. But i was thinking.. We all keep snakes from other countries, or other continents, but can grass snakes be kept in captivity? probably another stupid question, but is there a market for captive bred snakes from England? lol

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Protection & Policy

* Under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, the grass snake is protected from intentional killing or injury, and from sale of any live or dead specimens.

* The Berne Convention lists the grass snake under Appendix III.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Certainly not legally! Though thats not to say there wouldnt be a market for them, people have always wanted what they cant have :roll:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True. Was just curious because seeing as we keep Australian and American etc snakes. thought they might do likewise with ours.

Mind you, Australia is a hard place to import snakes so i've been told. Pretty much near impossible for them to have anything like a corn, python or boa apparently.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Protection against killing, injuring and sale, etc

This level of protection applies to the four widespread species of reptile, namely the common lizard, slow-worm, grass snake and adder.

Only part of sub-section 9(1) and all of sub-section 9(5) apply: these prohibit the intentional killing and injuring and trade (i.e. sale, barter, exchange, transporting for sale and advertising to sell or to buy). It is not an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 to possess these animals.

its not an offence to keep them no, but it is an offence to sell them

i have 5 slow worms here, that were apparently evicted from a building site.

we took to prosecution level the girl who was trying to sell them, but it all went by the by in the end, for lack of any real proof.

you are allowed to sell 3rd geneation captive bred babies.. ie the great grand daughters of an original wild collected pair. but the onus would be on the seller to prove they are 3rd gen captive bred, and thats near on impossible

there is a case being investigated at the moment, of someone who sold common lizards recently too.

you can get european grass snakes and slow worms, and they are allowed to be sold in the uk.. even thought uk found ones are not.

N

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
so what your saying is if you kept one/two and bread 3 generations you could sell them then???

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Yes you could, but I suspect you would still be prosecuted as (as Nerys said) it would be very difficult to prove that they are 3rd generation captives. It would be your responsibility to prove they were, not the prosecutors duty to prove they weren't.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
ok thanks for that, i thought it was illegal to keep them!!! you learn something new every day

1 - 10 of 10 Posts