Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here goes.
my new out door enclosure will be complete this weekend coming providing i order my gravel or bark to go around it for decoration what do you think i should use?

its not going to be in the torts enclosure just i want it all done so im not disturbing them when they are in it,

ehat do you think i have to keep the cost as low as possible so bark would be cheaper or i could go for the bog standard cheap gravel for like £35 a ton ,but its going to be small i dont want them to choke if ne gets in their enclosure what do you think

i need 2 ton of what ever i do pic below were i have to cover
all the mud area

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
personally i like bark, it has a more organic feel to it. and its really good for local insects like beetles. the contrast will also be interesting with the planted greenof the enclosure and the brown of the bark. and any pants you put around it will stand out more for an architectural effect. maybe a cordyline or a palm, or an acer. uh, gardening head on!.....

cheap gravel is well and good on a drive way but for large areas can look samey and endless. but on the plus side it can be noisey so would possibly alert you to any intruders?? you couldbreak upi the expanse of gravel with an open plant like a castor oil or an azealea , or even a water feature.i do like the coloured pea gravel but its soooo expensive. i would need to remortgage!

please feel free to ignore my garedining talk, i can be a little obsessive and well, anal, about plants!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree with bark. Ok mines kept indoors but I use sand/soil and bark on top of it. Like tinkerbruce said, its more organic. Plus I was in B&Q and you can but a massive sack of childrens play bark for £4 (35 ltrs I think). Im paying £4.99 for half a shopping bag full.
The bark retains moisture (If needed, i keep Reds) It can also be washed (I have some massive seive bags and i soak it in hot water weekley.

This bit will sound a bit soft but gravel will scratch their shells.

Hope this helps :eek:s
Lee

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok got home from shoping and there is 2 ton of coloured pea gravel in my garden andy had orderd it thismorning he work next door to a builders merchants,so looks like gravel.good point ALI the intruder thing and also i will know when owens up to no good as he wont be allowed on there ihave loads of plants and miniture trees to plant about it im wanting a hebe that will grow around the enclosure one i can keep triming down? ne ideas?

gravel wont scratch the torts shells because they will be in their enclosure with sand/soil mix, my worries were if little man got on and flicked a little in with them but i think they wil b ok its not as small as i thaught it would be after all

thank you for your help once again will update the pics when i have some more many thanks x

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
i like the coloured gravel. how much was it for two tons?? it looks so much nicer than that grey stuff that looks like bashed up paving. you will have to take lots of pics when its all done!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thats the picture of it andy has saved fingers crossed it looks like it when its all done

it cost £100 with delivery his brother got us 30% discount not bad going

he rang on his brake and said has it arrived i sad yes along with my bark he was like oh no ur joking lol i said u could have told me,

he is expecting to come home to 2 tun bags of bark aswell

lol

men! its the women who are suposed to shop not men

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Good choice... I'd have gone for the gravel too. Sounds like you have some great ideas, can't wait to see it all finished.

:lol2: Don't complain Claire - I'd love a hubby that shops - even it was only for gravel!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bless him today he started work at 5am finished at 4pm then he has just come in half hour ago bless he has been non stop its bath and bed for him me thinks,cant wait till its all finished either,ineed to go plant shoping now to decorate around it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts