Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Lex was a little hungry (more so than usual), she decided that taking my fingers with her morio worms was a good idea. So I then used tweezers and she wants to eat those too. It's her first time with them and she has associated them with food already...

Tegus are ferocious animals when they are hungry.

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
LOL Tegs and monitors are known as intelligent lizards , mine also associate my tongs with feeding time :2thumb:

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
:lol2: tegu +food = wtf did the food go...

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL Tegs and monitors are known as intelligent lizards , mine also associate my tongs with feeding time :2thumb:
They are very intelligent, she picked that up so fast. She sat on top of the Morio worm box in the end and ate the ones that moved. Less work for me.

:lol2: tegu +food = wtf did the food go...
This is very true! :lol2: They're never reluctant to jump on you and climb to their food. :bash:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've got a black and white tegu, and every time i go to feed it a rat i only just get it into the tank before it jumps at me and the dead rat!!!!!!!! what do you feed yours on??

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ours is quite gentle compared to yours then......she has bitten me by mistake but my bd's have too, once she know food is coming she calms down and is quite gentle but she is generally fed off a small plate, i am going to continue this way as i dont want her to associate my hand in anyway with food, we have tongs but they are mainly used for the snakes.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've got a black and white tegu, and every time i go to feed it a rat i only just get it into the tank before it jumps at me and the dead rat!!!!!!!! what do you feed yours on??
Locusts, Morio Worms, Crickets (when I do buy them, hate the things), Boiled Quail Egg, Boiled Chicken Egg, Scrambled Egg the rare raw egg. With meats she will eat Kidney, Heart, Turkey, Rodents, various fish. The fruits she will eat are blue berries, rasberries and strawberries (though, they are full of oxalates so she doesn't get them often), mango, papaya and that's about it really. She never touches vegetables.

Ours is quite gentle compared to yours then......she has bitten me by mistake but my bd's have too, once she know food is coming she calms down and is quite gentle but she is generally fed off a small plate, i am going to continue this way as i dont want her to associate my hand in anyway with food, we have tongs but they are mainly used for the snakes.

She has never bitten me but she is a bit keen on her ways when feeding, she doesn't care what is in the way. That's why she gets hand fed livefood. She would take substrate with it and she doesn't like being fed out of her enclosure. I wouldn't say she is tame yet but we are getting there. Less tail whips. :2thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
my bosc knows the sound from the tweezers chinging together, so knows when food is comming. oh and nice to meet you Steve at TC's the other day hope ya got your new fella home ok.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Beardies are smart too..

Tegus and monitors arent the only ones. If Smaug even catches the merest glimpse of my hand going for the feeding tongs, hes up to the glass doors waiting! He's also particularly adept at finding his way back to the viv when I've got him out! He also has a preferred entrance/exit to the viv lol (usually the right hand door)
Quite remarkable...

·
Registered
911 Posts
cool, ours doesnt really have a choice at the mo as she about 5ft above the ground at the min lol, but we are in the process of making a 6ft viv for her.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just built my 8x4x4. Hardest thing I've ever done. :blush:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts