Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how big a yearling green anaconda should be? I have been offered one for sale it is said to be around 9ft mark. I am unsure if this is a yearling, as I have heard anacondas grow slowly. Then again they are a big snake.

I ask this because I want to get one but dont want to start with a snake over 5ft because I want to get used to it. So a hatchling or a well started young male is what I am looking for! :flrt:

How many years do they take to reach the giant sizes, over 15ft+? Does anyone have a rough yearly breakdown on how big they should/could be at specific ages and or there average sizes at these ages?

Also, on average, how long does it take to calm them down? As I do not know how I will be able to cope with a giant meanie lol!

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Just wondering how big a yearling green anaconda should be? I have been offered one for sale it is said to be around 9ft mark. I am unsure if this is a yearling, as I have heard anacondas grow slowly. Then again they are a big snake.

I ask this because I want to get one but dont want to start with a snake over 5ft because I want to get used to it. So a hatchling or a well started young male is what I am looking for! :flrt:

How many years do they take to reach the giant sizes, over 15ft+? Does anyone have a rough yearly breakdown on how big they should/could be at specific ages and or there average sizes at these ages?

Also, on average, how long does it take to calm them down? As I do not know how I will be able to cope with a giant meanie lol!

there is no way a yearling green anaconda is 9 foot mate. i have an 08 female which is just short of 6 foot.
best person to talk to is danaconda.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
hi just found this but its not much help

Size
Adult size: 20+ feet, 100+ pounds

Range
South America, east of the Andes

Habitat
Swamps and sluggish streams

Lifestyle
Green anacondas are active primarily at night and spend most of the daytime hours sleeping. They are solitary animals, usually only coming together for breeding. Although they have a nasty reputation toward humans, anacondas will typically flee or rely on their camouflage to avoid human contact.

Food
Green anacondas will eat just about anything that they can overpower, including mammals, fish, birds and other reptiles. While they are often referred to as “man-eaters,” there have actually been no documented cases of an anaconda consuming a human.

Life Cycle
Green anacondas bear live young and typically produce 20 to 30 at a time, although there have been reports of a single female producing up to 100 young. Young are born fully-formed and receive no parental care. The initial growth rate is somewhat rapid but slows once the animal reaches sexual maturity, which typically occurs around 4 to 5 years of age.

Females lay down pheromone trails during the breeding season, which coincides with the rainy season. These trails are typically followed by a number of males who aggregate around the female in a “breeding ball,” which is actually a slow-motion wrestling match. The males and single female may remain in this configuration from a few days up to a few weeks until a single male emerges the victor. The victorious male then gains breeding rights with the female.

Some of My Neighbors (IN THE WILD)
Jaguar, poison dart frogs, scarlet macaw, howler monkey, piranha, toucan

Population Status & Threats
Green anacondas are not threatened in the wild. Their natural environment has a very low human density, and an adult anaconda has few natural predators.

·
Registered
888 Posts
An anaconda would never reach 9ft in a year the largest it could be at around a year would be about 6ft-this would be abnormally large.At 2 years some females if very well fed could reach 9-10 ft but males grow slower so it would be at least 4-5 years for a male to reach that size.In terms of how long it would take a female to reach 15ft I would guess the earliest would be around 10-12 years however most would take well over 15 years

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An anaconda would never reach 9ft in a year the largest it could be at around a year would be about 6ft-this would be abnormally large.At 2 years some females if very well fed could reach 9-10 ft but males grow slower so it would be at least 4-5 years for a male to reach that size.In terms of how long it would take a female to reach 15ft I would guess the earliest would be around 10-12 years however most would take well over 15 years
Thanks mate

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
wow that long didnt think it would take that long :lol2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
They grow really slowly on steady feeding. They are very lazy aswell in captivity so shouldnt be fed a huge amount. You have to remember also that particularly with females the lengths may sound a little bit disapointing on paper or on screen but the girth of these size for size with most other snakes still makes them extemely heavy and cumbersome. Males are a lot more manageable and dont get anywhere near the size of a female but females at 14 + feet are rediculous. The biggest ive ever seen was around 17 feet and she was a monster, it took 2 of us to lift a section of her up. Im not sure what the total weight was but she was a beast.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
a female green on average would take around 15 years+ to reach 15ft+ in my experience but if you pushed the food which i dont recommend she could get there a year or 2 earlier and i agree with everyone else on the young one theres no way it would be 9ft at that age

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.