Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya, i had 2 green anoles both male who seemed to be doing fine until i added 2 rescued anolis, a male and female. I noticed the smallest male seemed ill and typical with all reps within days of seeming ill he died, 2 weeks on and the female started to look ill, sadly 2 days later she also died. Im not sure if its parasites or something, i quarantined the remaining two, kept high humidity incase it was dehydration as i know anoles are bad for not drinking unless its running down foliage. I am confused as to the problem. At first i thought the smaller male was being bullied and thats why the tragedy but now the female too.
I have given the remaining two vitamins in their food and misting a little more than often, not sure if a full sterilisation of their viv will help. All temps seem fine, im dumbstruck.
Keeping them seperate and in quarantine as the rescue male looks too brown, as though hes stressed but i think that was due to the bigger breeding with the female, he was chased away a lot.
Any ideas on next actions to take. Our vet is on new yr holidays

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and before somebody says its cos i had too many males and that was it, the first 2 were both males and lived peacefully for months, slept side by side, the problems only started when i introduced 2 more

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
maybe its just their time and theres not explanation or maybe stress or perhaps the smaller 2wenr gettin fed casue the bigger 2 were pinching their food?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i though too, but when i observed them, the smaller 2 were eating as much, i have a meal worm bowl and feed them crickets, 2 ate the worms but the other 2 preffered crickets so they were all eating.
I dont know, since then i found out the home the rescued ones came from was breeding them and all hers kept dying too. I hope its not something passed on to my first 2 thats done it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
this might either sound stupid or make sence..if your 2 wee ones were eating mealworms did you pinch their heads? as it could be that they never killed the mealworms and just swallowed them ccausing their airways to swell up or if they swalled them down far enough poss their wee bellys got nibbled on..i hope that make sence it does saying it not writting it though..perhaps she had been interbreeding and it was just a fault in them that happened sadly just as u got them...soz for ur loss:( :(

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i never thought of the meal worm thing before, i watched them eating them , seemed fine but could make sense, and as far as interbreeding i think she may have as she started off with only 2 and bred loads for ages

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
aww shame ..you know what this means dont you....

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
if you noticed the small male was ill, should you not have quarantined the new ones instead of adding them to the same viv as the ones you already have? all new reps should be quarantined for a couple of months BEFORE introducing them to excisting reps.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the sick one was my own one and they were all quarantined for 6 weeks first with no signs of bad health then within a couple of weeks i lost my small male (i assumed bullying) also it had escaped once and dropped its tail in a mad dash so i assumed, stress, etc, then the female died and i requarantined straight away.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
u got any pics of anoles and set-up? if you had 3 males and 1 female they could have been mating with her which would have killed her. plus as soon as you put a female in with 2 males the males will start to fight over her.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ill take some pics today after we sterilise the whole thing, the other 2 males seem fine, the biggest is healthy enough though the other one is still too brown for my liking

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
what size viv they in?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
em not sure of exact sizes, about 2ft by 4ft, 2ft high, spacious and full of hides, climbers etc, they have a tree house hide too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts