Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female green anole doesn't seem well for the last month or so and I have no idea what is wrong with her.

She has been gravid and laid many eggs throughout the summer. At the end of the breeding season she started to behave a bit strange, for example hiding more and being more brown in colour. She also developed two symmetrical lumps on either side of her neck, just below the ear holes. Meanwhile, she is eating less and I'm not sure at this stage how much she is eating at all. She also became more lethargic, to the point were she sometimes seems like she is struggling to stay awake.

Finally, today I noticed today she had some short spasms.

The conditions I have been keeping her in should be perfect, with the exception of UVB. I had been using 5% compact lamps. Then, about two months ago, I switched to a UV Flood 12% set up. However, I then reverted back to the 5% bulbs because my female was getting very close to the UV floods and it was hard to be sure I was providing it in a safe way. Presumably she was getting close to the bulbs because she was craving UVB, having been gravid all summer.

Anyway, since I don't know what's wrong with her I don't know what course of action to take. If any one can help it would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,600 Posts
As she has been gravid so much she may have a calcium defiency. She sounds quite poorly and my advice would be to seek a good reptile vet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In addition to going to the vet is there anything I can do, assuming it is a calcium defficiency issue?

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
You have answered your own questions. UVB starts the D3 production process, which then allows for Calcium Assimilation, storage and use. Get the balance of these cycles wrong and we enter a world of imbalance and potential disease.

Anoles originate from extreme index zones and bask for long periods in such exposure. This is their evolved and natural need.

If she is basking it is because she needs to,

Laying eggs takes a huge toll on the system of a female, image when this is protracted and with a lack of vital minerals,

going forward you should seek the advice of a vet. Only then will you know the extent of any damage.

In the mean time, replace the Flood and adjust your decoration according to the needs of the species. Increase hydration and humidity and try to tong feed grubs, waxworms will do for the short term, well dusted with EarthPro-A.

Anoles suffer quickly with nutritional deficiency, be that Ca or equally as common vitamin A deficiency.

good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a million, that's all very helpful.

Will calci-worms be as good as wax worms, or better perhaps?

Also, how long would you recommend leaving the UVB on?

Finally, I already use Earth pro A, but should I use a Vit D and Ca supplement as well, while this situation persists.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
The UVB should be on for a full photoperiod, so 10-12 hours a day.

EarthPro-A and CalciumPro-Mg is a great idea if using UVB correctly to the wild level.

Calciworms are great but they do not hold the powder as well as waxworms. Variety is key, so as many grubs as you can get. SilkWorms, Calciworms, Waxworms, butterworms and so on while you get the little thing stable

Above all, see a vet! you will only then for sure know what is wrong.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts