Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I recently bought a green anole (juvenile) and and he has been living with me for about a month. I am concerned that his almost constant state of displaying a brown color is signifying of health or stress problem. When I first got him he was green, and would vary normally between shades of green and brown during the day in the first week or so. Now, he is almost always brown, sometimes dark brown, and only turns green when he sleeps. Additionally, he often has salt deposits form outside of his nose, which I have heard is a sign of dehydration, but I observe him drinking water frequently, so I don't understand why that would be. Im looking for advice on what could be causing his stress/brown color and salt deposits.

Specs: 10 gallon planted vivarium, UVB and Heat gradient, Humidity stays around 55-80%. Heat 85-90F at hottest point. Jungle dirt substrate.
My anole is active and eats crickets dusted with nutrients. The only other abnormality he displays is he often does aggression displays despite having no other lizards in the tank. He will extend his dewlap and shake at seemingly nothing, just being aggressive by himself. I covered one side of the tank with paper because I thought he was upset by his reflection but that didn't make a difference.

Any advice appreciated, Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jenna,

Did you solve the problem with your anole being in a constant state of being brown? I have the exact same problem at the moment and can't seem be able to resolve the issue.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hello!
I recently bought a green anole (juvenile) and and he has been living with me for about a month. I am concerned that his almost constant state of displaying a brown color is signifying of health or stress problem. When I first got him he was green, and would vary normally between shades of green and brown during the day in the first week or so. Now, he is almost always brown, sometimes dark brown, and only turns green when he sleeps. Additionally, he often has salt deposits form outside of his nose, which I have heard is a sign of dehydration, but I observe him drinking water frequently, so I don't understand why that would be. Im looking for advice on what could be causing his stress/brown color and salt deposits.

Specs: 10 gallon planted vivarium, UVB and Heat gradient, Humidity stays around 55-80%. Heat 85-90F at hottest point. Jungle dirt substrate.
My anole is active and eats crickets dusted with nutrients. The only other abnormality he displays is he often does aggression displays despite having no other lizards in the tank. He will extend his dewlap and shake at seemingly nothing, just being aggressive by himself. I covered one side of the tank with paper because I thought he was upset by his reflection but that didn't make a difference.

Any advice appreciated, Thank you!

Hi, the brown colour is most likely due to stress as is the display posturing.
Can you say how you measure the ambient (air) plus the basking surface temp and what the latter is?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hi Jenna,

Did you solve the problem with your anole being in a constant state of being brown? I have the exact same problem at the moment and can't seem be able to resolve the issue.

Cheers

Andy

Hi, how long have you had the lizard and can you give details of how you keep it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi M,

I have had the anoles (1m:2f) since November. They have been almost permanently brown for about 3-4 weeks. Set up is: 30inch x16x16 inch viv. Heating is an incandescent bulb and T5 D3 5% UVB (forest) tube for the day (12 hour cycle) and night heat lamp for the nights. Temp has a hot end of up to about 28-30C closest to the bulb down to 22 at the cool end of the viv and 21 at the floor. Night time should be about 20 but I noticed that it didn't drop below 23 last night but the lizards have plenty of room to move to cooler spots if they need. One thing I did get wrong is not spraying frequently enough which I have rectified in the past week and now spraying twice a day. How quickly would they settle and go back to green if things in the viv were optimal again? Is it an immediate change of state or following any modification i should give it a week (for example) before knowing if that has worked? Any help really appreciated. I kept these years ago with no problems at all and can't get to the bottom of it this time. Cheers. Andy.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hi M,

I have had the anoles (1m:2f) since November. They have been almost permanently brown for about 3-4 weeks. Set up is: 30inch x16x16 inch viv. Heating is an incandescent bulb and T5 D3 5% UVB (forest) tube for the day (12 hour cycle) and night heat lamp for the nights. Temp has a hot end of up to about 28-30C closest to the bulb down to 22 at the cool end of the viv and 21 at the floor. Night time should be about 20 but I noticed that it didn't drop below 23 last night but the lizards have plenty of room to move to cooler spots if they need. One thing I did get wrong is not spraying frequently enough which I have rectified in the past week and now spraying twice a day. How quickly would they settle and go back to green if things in the viv were optimal again? Is it an immediate change of state or following any modification i should give it a week (for example) before knowing if that has worked? Any help really appreciated. I kept these years ago with no problems at all and can't get to the bottom of it this time. Cheers. Andy.

Can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure including a view of the top?
A simple incandescent light bulb is not at all suitable as a "basking bulb" because it directs the heat all around rather than downwards. Can you also give details of how you measure the ambient (air) and basking surface temps plus the humidity range, and what the latter is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

Set up pics attached. The top is solid. I have vents a the rear of the Viv and leave the glass doors open a crack. I'll remedy the incandescent and get a spot lamp tomorrow. Thanks.

Ambient air temp measured at the mid point of the Viv using a max/min digital thermometer. This thermometer also does the humidity (it is circa 80%).

Thank-you for the help.

A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, photos didn't load properly. Attached this time. Any advice on the step up, even if it means getting a new Viv/lighting set up really appreciated. Thanks. Andy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What do you know about the provenance of this animal? ie; where/who you got him from, whether he's captive bred or wild caught, etc? I ask this because I was interested in keeping green anoles at one time recently and had a hard time tracking down captive bred animals in the UK, but saw plenty of WC for sale. A wild caught animal is more prone to stress from captivity and may have parasites or an infection of some description.

·
Registered
512 Posts
What do you know about the provenance of this animal? ie; where/who you got him from, whether he's captive bred or wild caught, etc? I ask this because I was interested in keeping green anoles at one time recently and had a hard time tracking down captive bred animals in the UK, but saw plenty of WC for sale. A wild caught animal is more prone to stress from captivity and may have parasites or an infection of some description.
You will have a bit of a hard time for you to find CB animals of green anoles in the UK, if you look into the EU you can find some. But sadly it is cheaper for shops and the likes to just mass import the species from America, also many Anolis breeders will target different species which can earn them more money. I stopped breeding this species as it was impossible for me to keep the project in the black so to speak and even though I am getting back into Anolis species soon, it won't be with this species.

Getting them WC isn't the end of the world as long as you have the patience and ensure the enclosure is set up suitably. Of course I would always suggest to quarantine them, especially if you have other reptiles in your collection.

TM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts