Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just a quick question here. I have two anoles, a male and a female. Their staple diet is gut loaded crickets. I bought some waxworms to give them a bit of variety, but I'm ware they're quite high in fat, anybody give me an idea of how often (or not) I should offer them? The best i could find online was 'offer them occasionally' but is that once a week? Every 2 weeks?

Also, if anybody could give me an idea of what to look out for in a fat anole that would be great. I don't think either of mine are particularly fat but it's useful knowledge to have for the future.

·
Premium Member
16,502 Posts
No. Ore than once a week IMO. There a lots of other foods that you can get - calci worms are really good and can be used as a staple - also if you let some hatch into flies the anoles will go nuts for them. They also seem to like woodlice,

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ^_^ I've not been offering them more than once a week so far as I wasn't sure. I tried them on woodlice and they turned their little noses up, watching disdainfully as they scuttled under the fern (where they probably still are). Never tried calci worms, might give them a go, but they like their crickets so I'll probably just keep those as s staple and bung in the odd waxworm for a treat.

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
1 to 2 waxworms a week max, but you could try roaches if you wanted more variety. Most lizards love them.

·
Premium Member
16,502 Posts
Thanks ^_^ I've not been offering them more than once a week so far as I wasn't sure. I tried them on woodlice and they turned their little noses up, watching disdainfully as they scuttled under the fern (where they probably still are). Never tried calci worms, might give them a go, but they like their crickets so I'll probably just keep those as s staple and bung in the odd waxworm for a treat.
Get a tub of calci worms and put some in a dish and then some in the substrate and leave them to hatch into soldier flies - if you think your anoles are active now wait until they are chasing flies - calci worms are also very nutritious and can be fed as a staple

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I don't think wax worms are actually as bad as older statistics made out. Although I wouldn't, and don't feed as a regular food source. Feed them as, a maximum, about 10% of the diet. You can also feed the moths which will be slightly better nutritionally( I would think they're less fatty anyway ).

Also I echo what sharpstrain has said. Offer calci-worms but allow some to turn into flies. Some of my geckos and C. tropidosternum go nuts for them. My Gonatodes species, C. tropidosternum and P. rugosus, to name a few, will jump and chase them throughout the vivarium.

It's not always about how good the food is to eat but also how it can benefit them in other ways.

Gavin.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine eats calci worms, meal worms, small crickets and occasionally I chuck in a waxie. They love the flies from the calci worms too. I don't think you can tell if they are fat as they are so long.

Reactions: sharpstrain

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to feed mine the occasional garden hover flies (these can easily be caught with just your fingers), can't say i ever noticed them eating the woodlice that we're on clean up duty but i suppose its possible they did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts