Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of them will only eat white mealworms and the other wont take anything ive tryed brown crtickets, baby locusts, waxworms, i put a spider in every now and then and they used to love those and ive tryed white mealworms i think it could be because theyre both boys (i think, theyree still too young really to tell)
what should i do?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
What size viv are they in, and what are their temperatures? Do you turn the heat down at night, or OFF? The change in temperature is affecting most lizards at the moment, so might be a factor, but if both are male then you might find they are stressing each other out. Also, how much time do they spend being green and how much brown? Do they head-bob at each other a lot? Have you ever seen a pink or red dewlap on either or both?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
same questions above, but can you get pics up. If the pics are good then i can tell you if they are male or female. *hopefully*

My anoles are not eating much because it's winter now, so if yours have slowed down, this could also be why.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are in a 18" tall by 8 " back by 14" long tank (about) (im getting a huge one for christmas 4' tall 3' foot long 17"back and am gonna try make it a comunal enclosure) one of them is constantly green and does head bob and do its throat fan and even has a small dorsal crest thing but the other does hardly any of that stuff i ve only seen it head bob a couple of times and once do its throat fan, that one is always brown and doesnt eat. i have a timer on that turns it off an on at night and day it gets to a 90 f averige at day but at night gets to a 65-70 averige at night. i will put some pics up soon +ive justordered two packs of curly flies which they like so hopefully theyll eat them

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
how big are the throat fans, females only have little ones, half the size of males and smaller. are they both the same and large-ish?
If you have two males you obviously wont be able to house them together and will need a separate enclosure at some point, if it is male and female then that would explain why the female would always be brown. She maybe stressed from the male.

i have a care sheet on my site if you want to know about keeping anoles together and their behaviour...it's from experience! lol

scroll to the bottom..Ive have'nt gotten to writing about breeding yet as im lazy. lmao.

http://www.freewebs.com/jinkusu/caresheets.htm

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
k thanks soon ill get some pictures up soon
its weird cos i didnt think that the shop would sell two males to me when they knew i was keeping them together and theyre quite a good pet shop and also the bigger one thats always green chases the other one round whilst displaying

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wwhat do you feed your anoles on and how many anoles have you got?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
take it your talking to me. lol

they are in my sig hun. *point*
I have 1 male with 3 females, you have to have at least 3 or more females so the stress of breeding is'nt put all on one. I would read my caresheet, the housing together bit and heirachies. It says about how active males are in the mating season, and if you have just one female...it wont end up being good!
I did have 4 females but one died this year, (natural causes, maybe old age).
I used to have them in a 4ft high by 3ft long viv, they were happy first of all and then they were brown all the time for some reason. So i moved them into a smaller viv and they are fine now.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you no for breeding them did simulate a winter or did they just breed any way
i just moved my anoles into a bigger viv which they should be alright in for a while (until i get a big viv) how bigs yours?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
the viv i have them in now is 30" long about 24 high and 18 deep. it is high up so they think it's taller.lol but they are alot happier in it.
and it's crammed full of greenery and hiding places.

heres a pic...

I did not simulate a winter as the temps drop naturally at night and do it for me. They usually breed of their own accord anyway.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have a timer that cuts all the lighting so the heat drops at night could that be why one of mine is like displaying alot

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
dont know tbh. How old are yours?
It could be threat displays or mating displays, i'll need pics of your anolis hun.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they didnt no at the pet shop ive only had them about 5 weeks they are quite young i think im gonna go get some pics

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
if you get any pis with your hand in the photo close to them that would be good, then i could estimate an age if they are small.
If they are adult though i would'nt have a clue!

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Ive noticed mine look a bit miserable lately and always seam to be brown but their still eating. I like the idea youve done Jinx moving them to a smaller viv but placing it high up. mine are in a 3ft high viv but spend all their time in the top right hand corner all grouped together and very rarely go lower because i place their live food on a big leaf high up.

I think I will have a change round tomorrow and swap vivs with the baby chameleon whos grown out of her not as tall viv and see if they look a bit happier :D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I guess behaviours will also depend on if they are WC or CB. or how often they've had human contact and so on. Anoles are timid by nature, taming them is rare but can be done, my male is semi tame, but the females i imagine are all WC knowing the place i got them from. :(
At least they breed though.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
tombraider said:
Ive noticed mine look a bit miserable lately and always seam to be brown but their still eating. I like the idea youve done Jinx moving them to a smaller viv but placing it high up. mine are in a 3ft high viv but spend all their time in the top right hand corner all grouped together and very rarely go lower because i place their live food on a big leaf high up.
Aren't they weird? I have 1:6, and half are green, the rest are brown, they are never really bright green, but then again the viv sits on the floor. Its 3 high, 4 long, 2 deep, and it has a lot of foliage etc, they eat really well and we cant keep up with the amount of eggs they lay. Instead of burying them they drop them from the high branches so that they smash or end up floating in the water bowl. Never really sussed that one out, but they DO come down to the bottom, and not only on feeding days either. Unfortunately we are unable to raise it higher off the ground as its part of a stacker, but they seem healthy so we'll see how they go.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

^ Thats the lizard that wont eat

^ thats the one that will only eat mealworms

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im gonna put some pics up in a sec cant get the html right

·