Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above really - when I first started keeping reps 10 years ago, nearly every I knew in the hobby had at least one set up of green anoles - I must have phoned nearly 10 places over the past week and found one place that stocks them. I always wanted some, but got distracted by spiders, inverts and beer :)

Anyone else still keep them - I think they are so funny to watch, like the lizard equivalent of goldfish :)

Lee

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Just seen two for sale in a shop today here was tempted to get them but I was at my workshop all day and they would have got cold so may go back later in the week for them. Theres a couple of lots in classified as well

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Nic

Yeah, I am currently hatching a cunning plan :) But the post was more of a 'why does no-one keep them any more'? Just find it strange, or is this one of those fashion things that the 'kids' talk about :) lol

Lee

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
10 years ago all the shops I went to sold them in plastic faunariums that are about 12 x 4 x 8" in size and sold them as pets to kids, said feed them these crickets and they live about a year. I don't know if that was anyone elses experience.

They were the ultimate "replaceable" animal. In fact, I know someone who has one that's 15 years old. Who knows realistically what their lifespan in captivity is, it's certainly very little in a tiny plastic tank with no UV, no lighting, no controlled heating, incorrect humidity, no supplementation, etc. etc. - I know things have moved on now, but when I originally started work experience in reptile shops as a teenager we would sell 10-20 of these a week and unfortunately, never with lighting/heating or the correct size tanks.

Millions of these cheap (used to be sold for £2 in my local when I started keeping reptiles, up to £10 or so now but still not a big cost) animals died, because realistically the setup costs in excess of £100 to do it correctly. I for one am so glad that they have lost popularity as people are often not willing to spend that much on an animal, and they were sold to people as alternatives for kids to a goldfish or a hamster, and parents wanted them to be in that price range, with a short lifespan!

I won't stock them unless someone specially orders them in who is willing to sort out the setup, I have stocked them and people just say " oooh £10 for a lizard I'll take that" and it's just pandering to the throwaway mentality unfortunately.

Almost all wholesalers have them available, if you're genuine about wanting these lizards - that are actually really fantastic to keep & watch, ask around if shops can special order them if you pay in advance so they know you're serious, and explain you've got a lovely full setup, I'm sure you'll find some :)

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Hi Nic

Yeah, I am currently hatching a cunning plan :) But the post was more of a 'why does no-one keep them any more'? Just find it strange, or is this one of those fashion things that the 'kids' talk about :) lol

Lee
Well I went back and got the two they had there, was supposed to be three but other one was nowhere in site and we dismantled the whole viv

·
Registered
71 Posts
"Athravan", that's a pretty sad story, but I understand what you're saying by 'replaceable'. I bought Oscar and Rosie for about $7.99 each. The guy at the pet store was saying a plastic terrarium and a heat lamp was all I needed. Lucky for my little critters I'd already had lizards in the past and knew that I would need a lot more.

I love watching mine. They're so cool. I would love to try and tame them... Oscar will hop on my hand and arm, but I'm afraid to take it out of the tank because I don't want them to run away from me.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It's a shame as they make a great display lizard, similar to the rough green snakes which aren't kept all too often.

No one seems to breed them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
10 years ago all the shops I went to sold them in plastic faunariums that are about 12 x 4 x 8" in size and sold them as pets to kids, said feed them these crickets and they live about a year. I don't know if that was anyone elses experience.
I was one of those kids unfortunately. And they didn't last anywhere near a year, poor things.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I used to see them in pet shops when I was about 8 years old and many had scars, looked deydrated and massivley underweight.

Human ignorance really, my Dad said when he was a lad pet shops used to be full of tortoise's and cost next to nothing.

Like someone has said they were easily replaced and seemed no big loss. The reptile / pet trade had improved dramatically over recent years and animal crulety still happens although no where near as much :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i had them years ago first viv i built out of a kids toy box we had spare
with uv and heat bulb and umbrella plants in there
they did superb i sold the full est up after 3-4 yrs but hey were like little gymnastic piggies lol would scoff what ya gave em and they danced and bounced about never saw them in anything but vivs in the shops and im going back a good 10+yrs
viper n vine had some in so some shops still do em from time to time but theyve gone up in price
and have even seen some cb ones about also from time to time
great liazard if your willing to put the time in
as long as you remember to frisge your crickets as otherwise your losing a battle putting them in and trying to stop anoles from getting out lol
would be nice to see some full on large arboarial set ups with them in but think thats the realistic point peple wont put money into them which is a huge shame for such a lovely lizard: victory:

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I've got groups of both green and browns now in a large live planted set up, i've had it running for about 3 year now. They are ace animals and really easy to keep once you get the set up right. But as Athran said, people still see them as a cheap pet when realistically the set up cost about 100.

Jay

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies - I am still toying with the idea of getting some, as I have a spare 45x45x60 exo-terra, heat lamp and compact lid with UV sitting about doing nothing - watched some in a shop the other week and was just hypnotized by them. Its nice to have something a little more active and visible than cresties :)

Lee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts