Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know if its ok to keep two females with one male or does it have to be three? also which make the most interesting pets-anoles or long tailed skinks (I think thats there name lol) im looking to get some and just wonderin if anyone new what would be best. thanks alot. vic xxx

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
we have 4 anoles, 1 male and 3 females, and they are pretty fun to watch, especially at feeding time :) the males look really good when they show their dewlap aswell.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I would go for 3 or more females to 1 male. Our 1 male has a very high sex drive and jumps from one female to the other all day long :lol:

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
tombraider said:
I would go for 3 or more females to 1 male. Our 1 male has a very high sex drive and jumps from one female to the other all day long :lol:
perv :lol:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i had 1 male to 2 females at one point and i did feel a bit sorry for the girls so now i've bought another 3 females to go in there too. should keep him happy. :lol:
they are fantastic little lizards, very underestimated.

this is my new baby :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have seen Cuban Anoles in my local herp store: any info?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
theres some in the local rep shop near me, they're cool looking things, can you keep 2-3 females WITHOUT a male? i dont want babies. :shock:

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
tombraider said:
Do they breed very easy then, have you had any success, I see them about all the time fairly cheap but just thought it was down to being WC.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i have never seen any in pet shops that are CB, but mine have had 3 babies so far. i don't do anything to encourage them either, just look in and find babies running around :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
our eggs have all collapsed do far but we tried to home incubate them, maybe we would do better to do what basky has done and just leave them in there to let nature run its course.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i found an egg over a year ago and took it out to incubate it, then looked in one day and it had hatched but to be honest i can't find them anymore cause they're in a 4ftx3ftx2ft viv that is heavily planted. just find babies running round :D
however i would say if you find a baby take it out and put in smaller viv so you can keep an eye on it.
good luck :D :D :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
they arent easy to breed in my opinion and anoles dont suffer being caught from the wild like other reptiles, they dont really care much about it and live happily in vivariums. they just get eaten in the wild anyway.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Blazey said:
... anoles dont suffer being caught from the wild like other reptiles, they dont really care much about it and live happily in vivariums. they just get eaten in the wild anyway.
It's the very fact of them being taken from the wild I'm not keen on.
I'm sure they do perfectly well in vivs, mine seem to be :)

If we plunder the wild stocks as much as we do for so many other animals, Anoles and the animals that have them in there diet could end up being threatened. Not a serious threat right now, but that's what people used to think about African grey macaws for example.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
I can see blazeys point of view as she is still offering perhaps a much better environment than they came from, they are probably really stressed in the wild being chased about by bigger predators and they probably live longer in captivity.

Maybe you guys should start a CB line of them :wink:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah i've often thought about it but i can't bring myself to sell them. especially when i see them growing. i'd have to inspect there new homes etc... :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
there would still be a demand for them anyway as reptile breeders arent advertised well enough.

ive never noticed any in my area.

·
Registered
258 Posts
fazer600sy said:
I can see blazeys point of view as she is still offering perhaps a much better environment than they came from, they are probably really stressed in the wild being chased about by bigger predators and they probably live longer in captivity.
Better for the individual perhaps, but not for the species.

fazer600sy said:
Maybe you guys should start a CB line of them :wink:
I hope to :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Blazey said:
there would still be a demand for them anyway as reptile breeders arent advertised well enough.

ive never noticed any in my area.
I'm not sure the demand is really there.

As has been demonstrated on this thread (by reptile lovers), not everyone is too bothered about WC vs CB.

They are also quite cheap to buy ATM, making them an easy impulse buy
:evil:
I certainly hope to get some CBs into the shops, even if I have to give them away!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
to be honest, breeders themselves dont want to just advertise on their local pet notice board cuz it attracts people who dont know about the animals and people who havent had the reptile before seem to prefer to buy from a shop where they can see everything they need in one go than someones home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts