Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm from the US and this site seemed full of info.. I did alot of reading last night (close to 3 hours worth) then didn't even go to sleep yet.

So I'm pretty sure I want a green iguana.. if not that then a water dragon.

I'm leaning toward the green iguana because once it gets 2 feet long I want to free roam it. I'm going to construct a whole room for the little guy.

A couple questions I had that I could not seem to get down:

Feeding: What should I feed them daily? Lettuce and Carrots? Sometimes some strawberrys and etc? How much is enough?

Light: Should I have one "basking light", one "UVB" light, and one heating source from the bottom of the cage? And for how long should I keep them on?

For the "viv" this is my plan:

(temporary 20gallon tank till he gets too big)

Surface: Soil covered with a layer of moss (if a female, 1/3 of the tank will have just soil)
Plants: Fake trees and branches all securely angled for climbing
Water source: I'd like to set up a waterfall effect with an area big enough for him to get wet if he feels the need to

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Food......if you are going to feed lettace, try to use 'romain' but i'm not sure if you have them over there!!! same as dandelion weeds. fruit should be used once or twice a week as a 'reptile candy' as you would say! try looking at the sticky at the top of the forum, and just use the ones that say you can use them daily as a staple diet!

Lights.....you should have at least one basking light, with temperatures reaching about 85 - 90f about 2 inches under it, and as for uv, use the highest one you can get your hands on, i would use a 'powersun' and this would give you good ambient temperature in the vivarium.

If you end up getting a water dragon..... he will need to have something to swim in, i use a cat's litter tray, but as for a waterfall, i would try and only have a very small one in there, it might get a bit too humid otherwise.

How big in inches is a '20 gallon tank?? will this be all glass? try and make it from wood, a wooden viv will be alot more stable and suitable for either lizard! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20gal is actually quite small and I decided against that.. I'm gonna take a stab at making my own viv. Has anybody ever used plexyglass instead of real glass?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
can work quite well, but it would need to be rather thick! i would use toughened 5mm glass, it would be safer in the viv.

When i build my viv's i use melomine or conti board, comes in loads of colours, and in 6'x4' sheets, i would just put 2 at the back, so its 8' wide, 1 on each end, so its 4' deep, but i only make my glass 3.5' high, so i have a kick board on the bottom, of 1.5', and 1 on the top of 1', this hides all the lights, cables, and heat plates.

This would make a viv of 8'x6'x4', any iggy would be happy in this, and a power sun would be just the thing! :)

You have a clearer natural uv over there in the states, so you could build a 'run or pen' out in the garden, so it can get as much sun light as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea In the warmer months I'll bring it outside quite often, maybe bring it out for a drive eventually haha

But if I make my own I want it to be 6 feet tall, 8 feet wide, and 6 feet deep

not sure how to compare to your measuring system over there.. but 6 feet is the "Taller" person over here in america, not sure how diff things are over there

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
yeh about the same, the wooden sheets come 2' wide as well! just need to get those plastic runners that join the wood. any large 'hardware' store will have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts