Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys im looking into gettin a pair of gtps but dont no which type to go for. been recomended by a friend to get a pair of aru's but do u lot think

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
it depends entirely on YOU.

1 - what can you afford?

2 - What sieze/temperament are you after?

Once you've figured that out, research GTP localities and make your choice.

Mason

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it depends entirely on YOU.

1 - what can you afford?

2 - What sieze/temperament are you after?

Once you've figured that out, research GTP localities and make your choice.

Mason
well size is no problem and im looking at spending a fair bit on them. i was told that most gtps are snappy little devils so is there any nicer temperment 1s then?

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
i was intrested in these b4 (well still am!!) i was looking at a biack (sp) but got told by a breeder m8 of mine i should go 4 a sarong (sp)
im guessin these r easier 2 tame and handle.
hope that helps ya a bit?:2thumb:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was intrested in these b4 (well still am!!) i was looking at a biack (sp) but got told by a breeder m8 of mine i should go 4 a sarong (sp)
im guessin these r easier 2 tame and handle.
hope that helps ya a bit?:2thumb:
thanks for that :2thumb: all info helps

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Aru - generally yellow as babies and tend to calm quite well as adults.

Biak - one of the largest localities, more 'aggressive' than arus. Red as babies, lots of these keep some yellow colouration and don't go solid green.

Jayapura - mid sized, should keep a solid blue dorsal stripe.

There are more..

GOOGLE.

Mason

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Hi

Genuine UK captive bred green tree pythons start from about £300-325 each and most pet shops tend to sell their (very likely farmed imports) for that kind of starting price as well.

I would be extremely wary of any chondro being offered for sale in the UK for £150. That's way below the market value, even for a farmed import, and I would be suspicious that there was something wrong with it unless it was a friend in the trade selling it on at cost as a favour.

In terms of locality I would actually recommend a sorong or a biak as ideal starter chondros. Aru's tend to be a bit more docile than other localities and as a result can be a bit trickier to feed because they aren't so eager to strike out. It should be noted, however, that this factor is of less importance if you are buying an older and well established animal as opposed to a hatchling.

Also, in my opinion, opting for an aru because it is supposedly easier to "handle or tame" is completely the wrong way to go about things. Chondros are display snakes and should be treated as such. Some will tolerate limited handling but you really shouldn't be buying one with the intention or handling it on a regular basis and treating it like its a royal or a corn. With that in mind, the difference in temperament really shouldn't be an issue in the decision making proicess IMO.

cheers

Stuart

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Very nice snakeseller!! Any of those being bred this season?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi

Genuine UK captive bred green tree pythons start from about £300-325 each and most pet shops tend to sell their (very likely farmed imports) for that kind of starting price as well.

I would be extremely wary of any chondro being offered for sale in the UK for £150. That's way below the market value, even for a farmed import, and I would be suspicious that there was something wrong with it unless it was a friend in the trade selling it on at cost as a favour.

In terms of locality I would actually recommend a sorong or a biak as ideal starter chondros. Aru's tend to be a bit more docile than other localities and as a result can be a bit trickier to feed because they aren't so eager to strike out. It should be noted, however, that this factor is of less importance if you are buying an older and well established animal as opposed to a hatchling.

Also, in my opinion, opting for an aru because it is supposedly easier to "handle or tame" is completely the wrong way to go about things. Chondros are display snakes and should be treated as such. Some will tolerate limited handling but you really shouldn't be buying one with the intention or handling it on a regular basis and treating it like its a royal or a corn. With that in mind, the difference in temperament really shouldn't be an issue in the decision making proicess IMO.

cheers

Stuart
thanks for that info that helps me alot i no that gtps are mainly display snakes i just wanted 1 that wasnt gonna rip my hands to shreds every time i go to change water etc :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

stunning

1 - 20 of 26 Posts