Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with these? I've got some on order and have done my research on these so know what requirements they need and know they can be difficult to keep and feed but wanted other keepers views and opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I used to keep 2.2 WC Ahaetulla prasina. They seemed relatively easy to care for apart from needing to feed them live geckos (and the difficulty with that was getting the geckos, not getting them to feed which they all did readily). As with my prasina, I'm assuming these nasuta are wild caught so make sure all the necessary medical checks are carried out on them.

Let us know how you get on.

cheers

Stuart

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
No, I never tried frogs. Mine were WC adults that had been established on geckos. I never attempted to convert them to anything else.

What kind of frogs are you intending to feed them on? Is there a ready supply of them year round?

Stuart

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm undecided on the frogs at the moment and may not need to use them if they are feeding on other stuff, its just interesting to know what other people have tried. I think the biggest issue will be finding geckos or frogs small enough to feed them anyway as the neonates are tiny!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I'm undecided on the frogs at the moment and may not need to use them if they are feeding on other stuff, its just interesting to know what other people have tried. I think the biggest issue will be finding geckos or frogs small enough to feed them anyway as the neonates are tiny!
Just hatched geckos should do the job...but with babies you've probably got more chance of converting them to rodents. If I were going down this road again I think I'd try and breed by own geckos to use as a food source (assuming I couldn't convert to rodents) to ensure I had a reliable and cheap supply. I use to order geckos from a broker and I was spending about £50 a month on geckos for just 4 snakes. That quite a lot when you consider that if they were rodent eaters it would cost you less than £10 a month to feed 4 snakes.

cheers

Stuart

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
stock up on house geckos mine used to breed like rabbits im sure a few females can produce enough young its alot cheaper than buying

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I tried one of these once and it didn't do too well (came in very dehydrated). It did assist-feed a couple of times on scented pinks but it wasn't enough...

I hopefully will have some cherry-picked A. nasuta by the end of the month and I'm intending to order a few House geckos to be used as a last resort (I can't bear to feed lizards to snakes unless its truly necessary). I've heard that A. nasuta is easier to convert to rodents than A. prasina.

I have seen babies fed on live tropical fish (they actually caught them by hanging over the water container). You might try this with your little 'uns? Certainly it will be cheaper than lizards! :2thumb:

I think hydration is important with this species (as with many WC arboreals). I'm thinking of using a "rain chamber" to make sure mine are able to have a nice long drink when they come in. One of the larger RUBs with a few inches of water at the bottom heated with an aquarium heater. The snake is then given lots of plastic plants and a lattice of fixed in bamboo/driftwood perches fixed higher up.

The idea is to provide plenty of cover and close to 100% humidity with lots of condensation so the snake can lap up water droplets at its leisure. Leave the snake in there for about 24 hours or so (maybe more if they come in severely dehydrated, but extended periods of high humidity is bad for them). This has worked on a lot of my WC stuff... if yours are captive born then it probably won't be necessary.

But it'd be interesting to see if the fish idea works?

Good luck and let us know how it goes! This is definitely a genus that deserves much more attention.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts