Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a water dragon soon and was going to build my own enclosure. I just wanted to know if a 4foot x 4foot x 1.5 foot enclosure would be big enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I'm getting a water dragon soon and was going to build my own enclosure. I just wanted to know if a 4foot x 4foot x 1.5 foot enclosure would be big enough?

Thanks
They get to around 3 foot in lenght including tail so the depth would make it hard for it to turn around.
Most people keep them in something like 6(h)x4x4 but i think you could get away with 4x4x3

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise I think I'm going yo document the making and take loads of photos of the build so you'll see it in progress

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think the biggest i have room for is going to be (HWD) 6'x4'x2'

is this enough?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
i think the biggest i have room for is going to be (HWD) 6'x4'x2'

is this enough?
Yes that will be fine, they don't get as big as you might think. Good size though as adult. To be fair you are better starting a hatchling in a smaller viv and then upgrading. That way you can keep an eye on feeding and it's easier to maintain the correct enviroment.

They require 70-80% humidity, pain to achieve it, but here is my thread: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/653624-new-fogger-iguana-2.html

makes life a lot easier..

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah im aware off all the measures to replicate the habitat, but i was woundering would a sprinkler/rain system keep it humid? or just wet?
thanks

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
yeah im aware off all the measures to replicate the habitat, but i was woundering would a sprinkler/rain system keep it humid? or just wet?
thanks
Both lol..... That would work, but might cost more than the humidifier to set up. would simulate the natural habitat for them better too....

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i ment just using one of those weed sprayers that you hand pump and spray, like a supersoaker, (LOL) but with tubes and a watering can-like end to simulate rain

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
i ment just using one of those weed sprayers that you hand pump and spray, like a supersoaker, (LOL) but with tubes and a watering can-like end to simulate rain
Could do that but it is far more effort to get the humidity right. I have mine on the timer with my lights, on a low setting, and it keeps my humidity bang on.

Some times I crank it right up and watch the fogg, looks amazing, good show piece for people coming round.....

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
CWD's are smller they reach around 2' females a littke smaller still I would go fir around lxbxh 4x2.5x 6. Awds reach 3' and imo are a better lizard.

Sorry for spelling :censor: new phone is :censor:!!
Your CWD's must have been stunted mate. My largest male hit 40" and I've had a couple of females at 31". And I bred 3 groups of them in 7L x2H x2W vivs. This is controversal and I know I'll get slated for it but I don't agree with the whole arboreal viv thing. No viv is arboreal. They are all just very small boxes that we keep our captives in. As long as you get conditions right within that box then you'll be ok. A 6 foot tall viv aint arboreal. It's a couple of hops for a CWD that is used to climbing 20 to 30 feet up a tree. Lets stop kidding ourselves.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Your CWD's must have been stunted mate. My largest male hit 40" and I've had a couple of females at 31". And I bred 3 groups of them in 7L x2H x2W vivs. This is controversal and I know I'll get slated for it but I don't agree with the whole arboreal viv thing. No viv is arboreal. They are all just very small boxes that we keep our captives in. As long as you get conditions right within that box then you'll be ok. A 6 foot tall viv aint arboreal. It's a couple of hops for a CWD that is used to climbing 20 to 30 feet up a tree. Lets stop kidding ourselves.
Wow they must have been really really healthy! I have had two and they were not that size.... I now have an AWD that I am hoping are going to get to around that size. As for the viv thing of course I would rather just give my WD's a room or something but since I can't they deserve the biggest enclosure that they can comfortably live in. Which imo is around the region of a 4x2.5x6... I plan on something a little larger for my AWD's.... But yeah I know what you mean about "arboreal viv's" (agreed)

Edit... Been a long time since I had an CWD but it was around about 2' can't really mind the exact measurements....

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Wow they must have been really really healthy! I have had two and they were not that size.... I now have an AWD that I am hoping are going to get to around that size. As for the viv thing of course I would rather just give my WD's a room or something but since I can't they deserve the biggest enclosure that they can comfortably live in. Which imo is around the region of a 4x2.5x6... I plan on something a little larger for my AWD's.... But yeah I know what you mean about "arboreal viv's" (agreed)
Yeah mate. Understood completely. I should have put in that post that I give my lizards the biggest vivs I can and that I wasn't condoning keeping them in small vivs for the sake of it.

And yeah, the biggest I had were grown to adulthood from egg by myself.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Yeah mate. Understood completely. I should have put in that post that I give my lizards the biggest vivs I can and that I wasn't condoning keeping them in small vivs for the sake of it.

And yeah, the biggest I had were grown to adulthood from egg by myself.

Congrats! :2thumb: They really must have been a stunning sight! I have recently started my reps on roaches, so hopefully with a far superior diet than the staple of crix and locusts mine will all be looking nice plump and healthy.

This is my first AWD... First WD for about 7 or 8 years so looking forward to something a little more easy to handle than the Iguana lol.....

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Congrats! :2thumb: They really must have been a stunning sight! I have recently started my reps on roaches, so hopefully with a far superior diet than the staple of crix and locusts mine will all be looking nice plump and healthy.

This is my first AWD... First WD for about 7 or 8 years so looking forward to something a little more easy to handle than the Iguana lol.....
Mine loved roaches but TBH I raised and bred many on just crix and mice before that. I never got any to take any veg with gusto though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts