Reptile Forums banner

GRR Royal with Ticks

645 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  AnnaGoji 
#1 ·
hello again everyone!

all i seem to be doing recently is posting for advice or problems i have with the snakes!

well, the large female royal we got from manchester has got ticks :( anyone advise me a reliable treatment?

#8 ·
Well, we took the Royal back to the shop with the other Royal we have her in with and I'd managed to remove 9 ticks altogther (intact with their heads!). The shop guy looked them over and couldn't find any more so said we didn't need to treat with frontline or anything.

Fingers crossed, everything seems ok.

We've got a new viv for her to house her seperatly, so hopefully, we'll get over the non-feeding hurdle soon

#9 ·
Use neat alcohol (you may be able to obtain some from a chemist), soak cotton wool balls and swab lierally over the ticks. Really soak the buggers! They should die pretty quickly and will be easy to remove once dead, don't pull too hard cos their heads will break off and stay in your snake's skin (ick!) This is the method we used when I was WEx in a vets (for fluffies not reps) and it worked like a charm. Just make sure she has a nice bath after, and a bit of betadine on the places she was bitten woudn't go amiss just in case.

#12 ·
we got this amazing stuff called prevent-a-mite when my snakes got mites, the label says it works for ticks too. just take everything out of the viv and put any decorations or whatnot in a tub with water and bleach. spray prevent a mite in the tank OUTSIDE and leave it there for a couple days. this stuff is strong and keep it faaar away from your snakes. we soaked the snakes in water for 10-15 minutes and then sprayed this stuff called "de flea" (also effective against ticks) thoroughly for about 10 minutes. let the snake slither through your hands and watch as the beautiful little bastards collect on your palms and fingers. after your tank is ready you can put them back. i also preventamite-d the decorations and then washed them thoroughly, i also 409'd the tank because it had collected some dust and such in the garage. after the snakes are back in the tank make sure to eyeball it every time you walk past and see if the ticks are gone and inspect your snakes. all this worked for me with one try and i had a BAD mite problem. i live in the states so those products might not be available over there, but im sure if you google them you can order them online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.