Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to let off some steam...as all of you no i am BIG into my royals....well I am currently havin a fudging row on msn with some so caled FRIEND who is giving it large cuz I dont keep any of em together!! It is supposedly spiteful and mean as they r sociable!! I hav put up a fight about EVERYTHING i no....bout royals not going round in the wild in "groups" the fact that they quite happily live separate and it lessens the chances of diseases being spread significantly and still Im being made out to be a twat!!

Now all im getting is...."well I hav 20 odd years experience and Im being made to feel like i know **** all and im sooooooooooooo upset over this!!!!

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
YOU tell them, that everyone does things their own way? and Even if his way may work, your way works too so he can stick it :D

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
well i'm not going to argue with someone who has 20 years experience with them, but i know alot of people that keep them together,

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I no alot of people who keep em together too...and thats not wat bothers me....if people chose too keep em together thats cool (altho when i first got my bandeds they were already living together) and i got alot of shit for that so separated em, wat DOES annoy the **** outta me is that I am being labelled as spiteful and nasty for NOT letting mine live together!

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Why should you let people get to you like that? Just give me your chocolates and all will be fine

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
After 20 years of keeping snakes you would think this person would realise that there is no "right way" as somethings work for some but not others.
I have close on 20yrs keeping and have bred royals several times,i keep mine alone most of the year and then introduce them into a 2.4 group all together in a big viv and this always works for me!
I wouldn't worry,far to many keepers from beginers to old hands are very opinionated and think there way is the only way!

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im so sorry to hav put this on u all, im just sooooo upset, I like to think that my snakes r happy and well cared for, not that im spiteful for not keepin em together! :cry:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Royals are not interested in being "sociable" they are in fact a very shy secretive snake.For anyone to say they need to be together in a group and not to do so is cruel is very misguided no matter how long they have been a keeper!
Just because you have been doing something for a long time dosen't automatically mean you are any good at it.........take my wifes driving for example!!!!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm not a big BP fan either, but have a couple of friends that are... They each have several BP's and keep them separately housed except for breeding time. Thats what works for them... I also know a couple of people that house theirs together year round.
The point being is whatever your are comfortable with and what works for you... They are your snakes and you know whether they are happy and healthy and that is what counts...
Tell this so-called friend Thanks for the advice, but quit treating you like an idiot....
Steve

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh dont worry i said that at the end of the day its each to there own and if my snakes r happy, healthy and eatin gd seperate then thats the way they will stay.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
its whatever works for you isn't it?? I personally keep mine together, have done since they were tiny, never had any hassle but I've also heard horror storys of people's new expensive morph investment being eaten by a slightly grumpy female royal within 24hrs of getting it home.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
grim pic alert...

send her THIS and ask her if thats what sociable means!

:evil:

this

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/cites/studies/study_royal_python_ghana.pdf

is a Survey of the Satus and Management of the Royal Python in Ghana

(thats were they come from incase she does not know)

where they state

snakes are usually solitary and rarely form aggregations, except in
exceptional cases such as rattlesnake hibernacula.

some other quotes..

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Python_regius.html

Key behaviors:
nocturnal ; motile ; sedentary ; solitary .

http://www.angelfire.com/al/repticare/page21.html

Cage Mates:

It is recommended that ball pythons be housed separately since all snakes are solitary animals. In the case of a ball python a cage mate may be stressful enough to cause the snake to go off feed. Separating animals also helps to prevent the spread of illnesses between snakes in the same enclosure. Being sure that you have the room to house more than one snake is part of being a responsible owner. Proper housing should not be look at from our standpoint in terms of space available, but in terms of what is best for the snake.

http://coloherp.org/careshts/snakes/ballpyth.php

Social Structure:
Solitary except at breeding time.

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/reptiles/snakes/snk2847.html

Royal Ball Pythons are solitary creatures except when breeding

there are over 70,000 links on google that show under solitary +royal python.

i have over 100 snakes at the moment. only 2 vivs contain more then one snake.

keeping them solo is not cruel at all !!!

20yrs experience and she has done no research into their basic wild habits.. :roll: and she says you are unreasonble! pot, kettle, black..

why do people not do simple basic research on the animal they are getting, BEFORE they get it!

N

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Laughing and clapping at Nerys' comprehensive reply - I think you pretty much covered that one!!

Nat.... don't let them get to you honey! <<hugs>>

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cheers babe, i just find it hard sometime, i look after my snakes 100% & they r all healthy...just pee's me off wen some1 puts me down wen iv taken on advice from some amazing people....inc ppl on here who really no wat there on bout

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would say be confident enough in your own ability... anyone who has kept snakes for 20 years and has a healthy happpy bunch of animals should be respected. Ignore the bigotted closed mind person and revel in your own ability.

:D

Slapshot

1 - 20 of 21 Posts