Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

Now I've got my Royal, I will looking for a juvenile GTP to buy in the next few month. It's quiet hard to find a good CB in the UK from private breeder (I do not want any Aru or Sorong).

Last time I went to CPR, they had some very nice GTP for sale which are F2 from Indonesia.

Does it represent more danger to buy one F2 rather than from a UK breeder (Mites, non feeder,...)?

Cheers : victory:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hello there,

Now I've got my Royal, I will looking for a juvenile GTP to buy in the next few month. It's quiet hard to find a good CB in the UK from private breeder (I do not want any Aru or Sorong).

Last time I went to CPR, they had some very nice GTP for sale which are F2 from Indonesia.

Does it represent more danger to buy one F2 rather than from a UK breeder (Mites, non feeder,...)?

I don't know the whole GTP business but I know CPR. I highly doubt you'd get mites from any snakes you buy there and I am sure you can ask them to watch it feeding too ...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Hello there,

As above, Not too sure on the whole GTP scene, however CPR take very good care of their animals and i highly doubt they would sell any animals with parasites and infections.

John : victory:

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Bred in indonesia means 'captive farmed' then shipped over here.

A yearling snake that has been in the shop for a while and is feeding OK will probably be OK, but a baby delicate chondro transported all the way here from indonesia is gonna be stressed and you have no idea of its feed and shed records, no idea what its parents look like etc.

Its MUCH better to buy UKCB or go to houten or hamm and buy EUCB if you can, (especially as these animals are often the same price as CF) but i do know people who have bought CF animals and its been alright, but its not something id risk myself : victory: hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As above, Not too sure on the whole GTP scene, however CPR take very good care of their animals and i highly doubt they would sell any animals with parasites and infections.

John : victory:
I know that, bought my royal over there :2thumb:

Yes indeed CPR always sell top quality snake so I'm not afraid of mite or other from them but I'm just not sure if a F2 represent a bigger danger to have a potential non feeder / More aggressive GTP in the future rather than a UK CB.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I know that, bought my royal over there :2thumb:

Yes indeed CPR always sell top quality snake so I'm not afraid of mite or other from them but I'm just not sure if a F2 represent a bigger danger to have a potential non feeder / More aggressive GTP in the future rather than a UK CB.

If you want a chondro the agression is something you shouldnt worry about anyway - they are all unpredictable and you shouldnt be intending to handle it often anyway.

Potential non feeder is more likely from a CF animal but thats only because they wont have had long enough to 'get to know' the snake, whereas if you buy from a breeder it will have had at least 10 feeds, youll know what the parents look like, youll know it wont have been handled or damaged - and they tend to be the same price as CF from a shop.

Thats just my 2p.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bred in indonesia means 'captive farmed' then shipped over here.

A yearling snake that has been in the shop for a while and is feeding OK will probably be OK, but a baby delicate chondro transported all the way here from indonesia is gonna be stressed and you have no idea of its feed and shed records, no idea what its parents look like etc.

Its MUCH better to buy UKCB or go to houten or hamm and buy EUCB if you can, (especially as these animals are often the same price as CF) but i do know people who have bought CF animals and its been alright, but its not something id risk myself : victory: hope that makes sense!
Exactly the point and my worries, stressed animal with no record. Ok so I definitively do not consider F2 from Indonesia.

I will go to hamm anyway so I will have more choose to buy a nice CB, my only problem is "Is it a big deal to bring back from Hamm a chondro in the UK?"

Is there any paper to do before to take the ferry?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Exactly the point and my worries, stressed animal with no record. Ok so I definitively do not consider F2 from Indonesia.

I will go to hamm anyway so I will have more choose to buy a nice CB, my only problem is "Is it a big deal to bring back from Hamm a chondro in the UK?"

Is there any paper to do before to take the ferry?

No paperwork necessary : victory: ive bought chondros back from Houten with no worries.

Id advise you to look for EU breeders going to hamm online BEFORE you go so you get a good breeder and have a chance to see the parents.

Just make sure you have a polybox with a way to control the heat and humidity for the snake. it should be fine if you do :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want a chondro the agression is something you shouldnt worry about anyway - they are all unpredictable and you shouldnt be intending to handle it often anyway.

Potential non feeder is more likely from a CF animal but thats only because they wont have had long enough to 'get to know' the snake, whereas if you buy from a breeder it will have had at least 10 feeds, youll know what the parents look like, youll know it wont have been handled or damaged - and they tend to be the same price as CF from a shop.

Thats just my 2p.
I use to have a couple of Emerald before I migrate to the UK so I know aggression can happen just at the beginning of the night if you put you hands in the viv :lol2:

ok so CB here I go :whistling2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No paperwork necessary : victory: ive bought chondros back from Houten with no worries.

Id advise you to look for EU breeders going to hamm online BEFORE you go so you get a good breeder and have a chance to see the parents.

Just make sure you have a polybox with a way to control the heat and humidity for the snake. it should be fine if you do :)
Tks for advice. Yep I'm starting to looking at the different good EU breeder as I'm ready to put some money for the right animal so I'd prefer to avoid any bad surprise. If you know few good name, it can help me to do not miss one breeder.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Just so happens that Chondro 13 and I paired F1 Jayapura GTP's this year and the female has laid a clutch of eggs which are in the incubator at the mo, projected hatch date October 15

:lol2: you make me sound like a proper sales predator..... fingers crossed for the babies!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just so happens that Chondro 13 and I paired F1 Jayapura GTP's this year and the female has laid a clutch of eggs which are in the incubator at the mo, projected hatch date October 15

I saw that, well done both and I'm sure the babies will be stunning. If I do not find what I want at Hamm, why not : victory:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I wouldn't risk CF in my opinion. I always go with C.B. It doesn't matter if you go with a reputable importer or not. There is always a higher chance a C.F snake could have parasites (internal etc) than with a C.B one. There are plenty of CB breeders in the UK or ones you can see at Hamm.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Hello there,

Cheers
On average, you're taking a higher risk by buying a farm bred import compared to a UK CB. Lack of feeding records (what has it fed on and has it even fed at all?), lack of info on what the parents look like, not getting to see the set-up in which it was kept and the associated husbandry all mean that buying a farm bred is "stepping into the unknown" much more than when you buy direct from a domestic breeder.

CPR probably sell some of the best quality imports in the UK so if you're going to go down the farm bred route you could do a lot worse than deal with them.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Agree with some of whats been said. On the whole its often better and more passionate to buy something homegrown, however its not always able to be done.

If you ahve no luck getting a UKCB one then send me a pm and i'll have a few french ones for sale in about -6 weeks: victory:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agree with some of whats been said. On the whole its often better and more passionate to buy something homegrown, however its not always able to be done.

If you ahve no luck getting a UKCB one then send me a pm and i'll have a few french ones for sale in about -6 weeks: victory:
Tks for the advices guys, I will follow them and even if it take more time, will go for a CB only.

French or Fresh ones? Tu es francais WLW? :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hope you don't mind me asking why Aru's and Sorong's are not for you?

For me personally captive bred always wins out over captive farmed.

I think the only positive points for Indonesia imports are if you are truly after a certain type that can be more obviously traced back to it's roots.

I agree with Chondro13's point about 'handle with care'. You just never know and those strikes are fast and those teeth are long.

Got to love them though!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.