Reptile Forums banner

GTP heating and stats

976 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  grahamhypher 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm about to be the proud owner of at least one GTP. My question is regarding heating and stats. I have 2 herptek 60x60x50s and planning to house a pair (1 in each) I'm considering the microclimate Evo. The cages came with heat cable in a coil on the roof, which would work, but I want to get it right, I was also going to use a heat mat under the substrate for background heat in case I need it. The idea being that the cages would be identical and would use a shared stat essentially. Having read the Greg Maxwell book I was thinking about the Pro-Heat radiator, but it doesn't seem to be easy to buy. Any and all input is welcome, I've been out the hobby for a few years, but I've got time to get it right, and time to spend on it/ them once they arrive. Thanks in advance, Graham.

#2 ·
a reptile radiator https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/habistat-reptile-radiator/?gclid=CNPivZWkldECFe8K0wod4BEH7Q is ideal for ur setup, also id recommend separate stats, if u open the cage with the stat, the heat will come on, the closed cage sharing the stat will also have its heat come on, even though its door is not open, not ideal. unless the evo has twin channels? iv never used one.

the herpteks are ideals for gtps, u cant do better than those, and they hold heat well too as the plastic is quite thick, also the colour seems to light up well, that cream color bounces the light around evenly and quite nicely.

rgds
ed

#3 ·
Cheers, good point about the door, I hadn't thought of that. As far as I can work out the Evo has two channels, I have a few normal pulse stats which I've got running just now to get everything ready, I just fancy a nice digital screen instead of the same old stats to look at! Do you know if heat mats can go "in" substrate? I'm planning on using topsoil and coco soil stuff that I can't quite remember the name of right now. It will be moist but not wet, as I recall it should be fine, but I've never used one like that before. Thanks

#4 ·
yes they can go in the substrate but u would have to keep the soil above the pad moist all the time and it would end up becoming a chore in itself as it would dry very quickly, it would be more convenient just to do without the pad, keep the substrate moist and let the cage heat passively dry it out, it would be more even and last longer. u could put a big bunch of very damp moss on the floor under the heat position, this would achieve the same affect without the heatmat, or u could place a large water bowl in that position.

rgds
ed

#7 ·
I don't have them yet, at least another couple of weeks to get it all sorted. I've ordered the radiators and Evo system. The radiators would be the main source of heat, and basking spot, I was thinking of getting a back up heat source, just in case the room gets cold. I'm probably being paranoid, but I'd never forgive myself if something avoidable went wrong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.