Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well thismorning, i was cleaning out snakes and did the same thing i do every week, picked chondro up with snake hook, put it in a faunariam with a branch in, cleaned its viv, put it back and misted it. an hour or so later it was on the floor of its viv, and was trying to climb up the side of the glass to get to the branch (there was other things for it to climb up to the branch). so again with the snake hook helped it along and l8er did the same, and it went all skatty and started biting itself and then went limp then died :S. ive had it for a good 2 months now. the temps in the viv were around 26c and humidity around 70%. also has never missed a feed. So upset about it, have no idea as to why it happend. any 1 who knows hwy it might be please let me know.

Tom:cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
573 Posts
you might have scared him, wich scared himself thinking that his body was trying to attack him, by using your hook

Not heard of that before, and is very doubtful.

Sounds like he was ill before hand, as he ha difficulty getting to his branch.

What kind of snake was it, and how old?

Sorry for your loss

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was a gtp, its weird as it happend all of a sudden and seemed healthy until thismorning... no chemicals were used, and the spray bottle is only left in the room and no1 goes in there.

i still cant beleive it happend

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
That's a horrific story, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Other than the mentioned chemicals and contaminated misting water, all I can suggest is that you did scare the GTP.

I know a friend of mine lost a Ball Python purely from sliding out the tub too fast from the rack, it then simply died.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
How mads that..............SORRY MATE

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
The fact that your snake seemed to be struggling to get on his branch makes me think of a neurological problem which could possibly fit in with it biting itself also. I am doubtful that you can scare a snake that much by doing something you do every week.

Really sorry for your loss, it is an awful thing to happen. Hope you can get a PM done and get some answers.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have heard of simmillar events where the snake started behaving very irrational and biting itself etc and it was linked to an illness that caused neurological problems, id have to have a PM done i think. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
17,332 Posts
It hadent been stargazing or having trouble with its balance had it?Just asking incase it was boids inclusion disease. as this was a new snake and the incubation period for this disease is usually couple of months.could sound bout right. Would definitly get in touch with breeder you bought it from. Read up more on this,or other more experieced members could add. Sure it wont be,but just in case.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Not all neurological problems are evident just by watching the animal.

Stargazing can happen but there are other factors too.
As it was mentioned it may have been a neurological problems or an underlying illness, if possible try to get a post mortem done and i am really sorry for your loss. Dont beat yourself up over it.:grouphug:

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Is that you shaun? sorry to hear about your loss mate. i have been told by others that chondros are prone to dropping dead from shock, hence the looking at snakes, not handling snakes. i think on this occasion it was a freak accident and nothing that could have been avoided.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
so sorry to hear of your loss :(

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
There was a thread a while back about a corn (i think) that went a bit nuts bit itself then died. ot sure what the outcome was - maybe you could search for it. Maybe he saw a reflection or something that scared him and bit himself beleiving his own body to be the reflection that scared him and the shock of being bitten countless times killed him. R.I.P little nutter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts