Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says really...will be looking to get a scorpion in the very near future and am undecided between the H. Arizonensis and S. Maurus.

I like the fact the maurus stay small but then on the other hand the arizonensis (from what ive read) tend to live longer and are more visably active!!

Basically im after opinions from people who have kept either of the above and can give their pros and cons to help make my mind up.

Ta,
Gary.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
H. Arizonensis have been known to live for 25 years... where as if you can keep an S. Maurus alive for 3 years you've done well. i found the S. Maurus is just as active as the desert hairy. but that depends more on the personality of the scorp and cage temps. to hot and they'll just hide

both have there advantages Arizonensis being it looks more impressive (like a hot). S. maurus being its rarer and looks more interesting IMO. S. Maurus has slightly more toxic venom if that helps

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks for the reply...i think the fact the maurus is doing well if it lasts 3 years may have just made my mind up!!

Desert hairy it is :2thumb:

Ta,
gary.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just thought i'd drop a few pics of my H. Arizonensis for you to look at...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those pics, they are cracking looking scorps...not sure if its just the way im looking at it but they look rather small?

Did you manage to get youngsters as i can only ever find adults for sale and they are few and far between!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
The first one is a juvi... and the second one i'm not sure about as she is quite alot bigger than the other. Been told she is more than likely pregnant too... (The main reason we got her).

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So how did you manage to get a hold of a juvi then? In the right place at the right time i take it??

tarantulabarn just did a post saying he will have some of the s.marius soon so im back to umming and arring now HAHA

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got it from exotic-pets.co.uk .... (Not recommended)
Took over a week to arrive which was rather frustrating.
I'm liking the look of the S.Maurus too but unfortunately dont have a spare tank.
I left you a post on the classified section with a website for you. He's very good.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
if your buying online ask for a juvi, male, pregnant etc there'll more then likely be a selection

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah just saw that link thanks.

Cant get on there in work so will have to try when i get home later.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you are anything like me mate .. you will get both ...lol
:lol2: You are probably right, maybe change the title to which i should get first!!

I am a little concerned about the fact the maurus dont tend to live as long, but then i could keep these in a group.

But then the arizonensis will live for yonks...oh i dont know, both have pros and cons.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
yeh go for both why waste half a tub of crix feeding just 1 :). also S maurus only need tiny cage. as long as they got 6-8 inchs of sand to dig in there happy. sp if you put a few into the same size tank as teh desert hairy it'll be greta to look at in there when they all come out

·
Registered
129 Posts
hey i got some desert hairy for sale have 2 juvies and 1 adult
Can pm me if interested

1 - 16 of 16 Posts