Reptile Forums banner

habistat and heatmat

627 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  royalpython 
#1 ·
This is kinda getting annoying trying to keep to a certain range of the temperature.. my habistat at the moment is set on 85 degrees. but the temperature of the hottest part of the faunariums for my snake at the moment changes like no tomorrow, one part of the day it's 82, the next it's 75, it's even dropped to 70 before. any suggestions? :(

#2 ·
No idea... i use a matstat with heat cable and on full heat it will only heat up to 75.... :evil: I abandoned it and am getting a heat of 82 without a stat until I can sort out the problem... I have no idea why though...

#4 ·
Whereabout have you got the probe?

It needs to be fixed so that only the temp from the mat can infuence the stat, and not the ambient temp. Eg. if the probe is exposed and you open a window causing a cold draught, the probe could cool quicker than the faunarium, causing the stat to kick in and making the faunarium too hot.

I'd have the probe taped to the mat right next to the faunarium base, with a few layers of tape over the probe to insulate it a bit from any fluctuating room temps.

#6 ·
I've currently got 3 mats with the probes taped onto the surface, under various sized tubs/boxes and I'm getting floor temps of 86F+ on all of them, with plenty of room to spare.
You just have to have the stat turned up slightly higher to compensate (higher than you would if the probe was in the tub).

#7 ·
what about using central heating as a means of applying ambient air temperature, and using like the others have said.. the probe on the heat mat insulated with tape? If you keep the room at a stable temperature then the vivarium should also remain fairly stable.
I forgot to add...

What kind of thermostat are you using? Pulse proportional thermostats are the way forward.. the cheaper ones will drop and then rise and leave a wide range between hot and cold temperatures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.