Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Just need a bit of advice.....I have a Day/Night Habistat jobby and would like(soon as I can afford) to put a Timer on it.

I have seen the Sun/Moon Habistat things but they seem to go on light rather than time - I would prefer to use a timed switch so I know when it is supposed to change.

Could anyone advise me on a good switch to use?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If your day/night jobby is your thermostat then you have three options to control it, use a night eye to regulate when the stat goes on to night setting, use a sun moon switch, which will regulate your stat and your lighting. or just use a timer B&Q for £5 or a digital timer ( does the same job) for £15.

What is currently controlling your secondry (night) power source at the moment ?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
wouldn't a timer (like the ones from b&Q) just kill the power when lights out..thought they acted like a circuit breaker? stops all current when it flips? i use them as they are cheap but don't think they would work to control anything at night..

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
no, what it is is those stats have an additional power lead... you have the main one plugged in..put the 2nd on a timer.when the 2nd power lead kicks in it overrides the 1st and switches to night mode....inc new temp setting.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
ah right gotcha!! cheers! never used them myself just use the central heating!! :)

then in that case one from b&q would do the job fine!! :)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i will add, i got some for £1.50 from wilconsins, worth checkin out incase they have the same offer at all stores.

yeh, confused the shit outa me too.....We have one with the feature [which we dont use lol] and i was baffled as to why i had 2 power leads lol

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I will add that if you put the sun and moon switch on this type of stat it not only controls your lights as well, but replicates the seasons for amount of heat and light. This is supposibly better for your BD. :shock:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oooo how cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts