Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just recently set up my 3ft viv (wooden) with a 150watt basking bulb with the habistat dimmer.

Now the question I have is this.

The tempetures I have inside the viv are fine (what they should be) but the light just seems to stay dimmed constantly just ticking over and keeping the temps static. Does the fact that the basking light is not giving off much light actually matter as long as the temps are correct?

I have more questions but this is the main one for now! :)

Thanks

EDIT: The occupant is a year old Beardie

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
The problem is that your bulb is way too high for the viv size.
If you drop it down to a 60watt bulb then the bulb won't be putting out as much heat as the 150watt is capable of, so it'll stay bright for a lot longer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, I had a feeling that the 150 was a bit overkill, I will nip out right now and purchase a 60watt :)

I'll let you know if im a happy bunny!! :notworthy:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, I've put a 60w bulb in, im still struggling to keep the cool side to around 80f, it was the best part of 90f with the light running. HELP!!! lol - I'm really starting to lose my mind over it, only just got the poor fellow back from a respiratory problem. Need to sort this out quick :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Move the habistat probe closer to the bulb. The bulb will cut out sooner and should keep your ambient temp down.
So is there no issue with the basking light not actually emitting light as long as the temps are correct?

Could it be a case of adding a couple of extra vents in the back? just for a little more air circulation?

This is the bit that is stressing me out, because I just dont know (Natural worried owner!! :( )

·
Registered
338 Posts
in my experience (watch someone jump down my throat now!) as long as the temps are ok it is fine for the basking bulb to be dim, infact i would say it is better this way.

The bulb shoud be bright when first turned up in the mornings and then dim down as your viv reaches temperature.

Im a worrier myself so i know what these things are like. As long as the temps are as they should be and your beardie is eating, active and pooing then there is generally nothing to worry about.

as for ventilation, just make sure the back of the viv is a good few inches away from the wall to give the vents a chance to do their job they should be fine :2thumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in my experience (watch someone jump down my throat now!) as long as the temps are ok it is fine for the basking bulb to be dim, infact i would say it is better this way.

The bulb shoud be bright when first turned up in the mornings and then dim down as your viv reaches temperature.

Im a worrier myself so i know what these things are like. As long as the temps are as they should be and your beardie is eating, active and pooing then there is generally nothing to worry about.

as for ventilation, just make sure the back of the viv is a good few inches away from the wall to give the vents a chance to do their job they should be fine :2thumb:
Thanks for taking the time to reply Fender,

Its difficult to get the hot end up to temp or 'basking temp' when it aint on though, surely it just creates an ambient tempeture throughout the viv? Should the probe for the stat be at the 'cool side'? There is so much conflicting information on the internet its a blooming mine-field.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oh god, tell me about it!!!

The probe will work at either end of the viv, some will say put it in the cool end and others will tell you to put it in the warmer end. I personally have mine at the warmer end.

How tall, deep is your viv?

Mine is 4 x 2 x 2, I have one 100 watt bulb with the probe roughly 2-3 inches from the base of the viv and my habistat turned up to 84. This keeps the basking spot between 98-102, the area around the basking spot around 90 and the cool end between 80-84.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
338 Posts
If the 150 watt bulb was dim but your temps were as they should be then maybe you should ditch the 60 watt and go back to that. Sounds like you had it spot on first time around.

How was your beardie behaving before? was it using all of the viv or staying on one particular side?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the 150 watt bulb was dim but your temps were as they should be then maybe you should ditch the 60 watt and go back to that. Sounds like you had it spot on first time around.

How was your beardie behaving before? was it using all of the viv or staying on one particular side?
He is a 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 (I think thats the depth/width, wouldnt be far off)

Its difficult to notice his behaviour so far, he as only just been returned to me from having a respiritory problem which was treated. I bought the entirely new setup for him so thats why I'm a little worried im doing something wrong.

I was one of those mugs who fell for the exo-terra glass viv, which almost put an end to the little blighter, luckily he has me looking after him who would take him to the vets for a sneeze!

I think i'll just keep an eye on the basking/warm end for the next couple of hours, the cool end seems spot on now, I moved the probe to under the light as suggested by the guy who fixed my little man up for me. Stat is set on 88/90, I think I might change the bulb back again if I dont think its warm enough at the warm end.

Your a star for helping me out buddy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.