Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight was the night of firsts, first time feeding feeding the new female blood python and first time ive seen white lipped pythons feeding, quite incredible.
The female blood is a 2005 animal bred in Germany. She is quite a stunning animal as the pics below im sure justify, her power was immense, striking at a defrosted small rat with confidence.
Next were the white lips, the male took a little teasing before a HUGE strike and took it, the female is in shed so was more interested in the things that moved (basically me) so I left the mice with her, both are on x large mice, the biggest available and, by my reckoning, a 2003 pair.
Ive said enough, let the pictures below do the speaking.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Stunning snakes there.

I love the white lip. Would love one of those.

What are the white lips like for handling and husbandry??

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carl24bpool said:
Stunning snakes there.

I love the white lip. Would love one of those.

What are the white lips like for handling and husbandry??
Handling is varied, sometimes they can be ok sometimes terrible, they hiss alot and its hard to tell in these, unlike bloods, whether its fake or agression. They are FAST, with lots of energy, these housings are temporary, soon going to be moved into a big split vertical viv, they like climbing.
Basically if you do get one get one from young, then you can tame it, these 2 are reasonable, the male is generally ok but the female can be a nuts.
Husbandry is like most tropical snakes, high humidity basically and they prefer to be left alone really, I would say they are more a display snake to a handling snake.
A jungle carpet python is a good snake to start with on the way to owning these, I started with irian jaya carpets, then blood pythons and now these.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oldelpaso said:
They also have fairly delicate skin, hence the importance of humidity with these guys... A very unique snake to handle 8)
That is very true, hense why after their isolation period they are being moved into far more humid conditions, at the moment the priority is making sure they are feeding and seem healthy, which, from sight alone, they seem to be.
(Dont mean to change the subject but are you still interested in my granite royal?)

·
Registered
641 Posts
E.Crassus said:
(Dont mean to change the subject but are you still interested in my granite royal?)
I emailed Ralph Davis about it and he didn't sound too convinced...

Maybe some full body shots would help, but from the pics you posted it's basically a normal :?

Some of the ones I picked up this year are more heavily patterned and they were £15 - £20 each, so if you paid anything near what you're asking for it you may want to speak to them... :bash:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I see what you mean.
I only asked again cause a mate of mine is going to work with me to try and prove him out, convince any doubts I or anyone else might have, so I needed to know if anyone was still interested.
Cheers for the quick reply :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Good luck with the project. Ralph was commenting on the lack of widespread speckling and there should be much more actual patches too, the specks on your male seem fairly typical of normal 'wild type' royals. But then again he IS still trying to sell that one he has and he hasn't sold any others at his price yet...

I say keep yours back if you suspect it's the real thing and if you produce any offspring like the one's Ralph has you'll be quids in :wink:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers for the support.
It will be interesting and if it doesnt work out how I want it will still give me more experience anyway so its all good.
Cant wait for next year.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
it IS a normal, along woth about 30 other MORPHS lol.. people moan about corns, but theres so many variations of what a non royal person would call a normal its unreal.
i know they all have a purpose,but visually, i cant imagine having like 10 animals worth many thousands that almost look identical myself..

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
very nice snakes like the blood python

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hey mate,we certainly saw each other in Hamm last week...I love your albertisi,but both (with the blood python)are beasts with character,isn't it?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thorrshamri said:
Hey mate,we certainly saw each other in Hamm last week...I love your albertisi,but both (with the blood python)are beasts with character,isn't it?
Hiya
Ah yes I remember, the guy with the king for Nigel to take back am I right?
The albertisi female has plenty of character, but she is shedding. The male seems all hiss really.
The female blood is a lovely girl, very friendly, just less confident than the male I have for her.
Was nice seeing you in Hamm, maybe see you again soon.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yep,twas me :wink: .Good ,see ya again with pleasure mate.You have a bit of luck your blood python is not agressive,they often do.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thorrshamri said:
Yep,twas me :wink: .Good ,see ya again with pleasure mate.You have a bit of luck your blood python is not agressive,they often do.
Yes mate very true, my female that died :(, was very aggressive.
I will be at Hamm in September and maybe Houten aswell, but im sure we will talk on here many times before then :).
cheers for the comments.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Hi Crassus, very good choices, some of the most beautiful snakes I've seen recently. I like to see different types of snakes sometimes, and can't remember seeing one of those white lipped ones before.

But your blood is a beauty. I'm really fond of bloods, specially the red ones like yours. I was always unlucky, everytime I had the nerve to go and buy all I found was the brown ones.

By the way, Lekkie (popular forum member) has a very beautiful brown blood, and very handable as well. I hope the day I get mine it will be tame, because I know it's got a bit of a reputation :D

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hiya Dexter.
Well to aid your love of my snakes I have added some new pictures of the blood and the male white lipped, female is still in shed.
Thnaks for the comments and best of luck with your blood :)

What we all want to see, a new snake feeding well, mouse is a bit small for him but i was more concerned with getting him to eat just something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts