Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, Hamm is a massive reptile show that is 1 day long, goes on for about 6 hours, (as i can remember, it went sooo fast!!!) there were 600+ tables and im guessing around 3/4000 people maybe alot more, Different breeders from around the world with different reptiles for sale, as well as a designated livefoods room and a venemous room.

Licenses are needed to export animals from Hamm, and CITIES or even DWA (dangerous wild animals) licenses for appropriate animals. I think there is 3 Hamm shows a year, (forgive me if im wrong) March, September and December.

: victory:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry to thread hijack, but I was wondering about Hamm too. How do you go about getting a licence and are they expensive (just a normal export licence, not a DWA or anything special)? And also how do people get their animals back? I assume they can't go on a plane, although I'm not sure why.

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
You do not need any special license to bring snakes across borders in the EU. If customs ask what you have, obviously you have to tell them, and they may ask questions, but there is no specific paperwork you need to bring pets back (unless you are a business, then you need a transport license which is free).
This has to be done via car, ferry or train.. you usually can't take them on planes.

They should of course be transported in a humane manner - in secure tubs/bags with good ventilation, and adequate heating (ie. poly box for insulation with 24 heat pads if it's going to be overnight/cold).. if you show this to the customs people they should be happy enough.

If you are a business the transport license is free to get and is one very simple form.

If your animal requires a cites certificate such as endangered tortoises, the seller will give you one with it. You should not have to apply for one or do anything in advance, it's just a piece of paper that comes with it.

If you are buying DWA you would need a DWA license in advance (dangerous wild animals) which are mostly the venemous animals and large exotic mammals - not things your average keeper would be buying anyway.

The show itself is like any UK show just on a mahoosive scale in comparison :lol2: You will have hundreds of tables each containing boxes of animals on display, usually the latin name is used for identification so take the latin name if you don't know it of any species you're looking for!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Its definatly worth going!!!, Most things that u are going to want to pick up will be CITES which i think (off the top of my head is 'certificate of international trade of endangered species) is for stuff like royal pythons, monitors, uromastyx, boas, chameleons, a few amphibs, etc

It is £5 to apply for cities licenses and if u have a real look around the net u can find the 2006 CITIES list. Which is 98% correct today. And have a browse on www.cities.org

Plane transportation i have no clue about . . . . i live in the Channel islands (JERSEY) and we need a licenses for everything (import, export, re-export or cites) so its a pain!!!! they are for customs to allow for us moving the animals between countrys.

Hope this helps : victory:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I take it herps / reps don't need to go into 6 months quarantine (like dogs, cats, etc)?

You do not need any special license to bring snakes across borders in the EU. If customs ask what you have, obviously you have to tell them, and they may ask questions, but there is no specific paperwork you need to bring pets back (unless you are a business, then you need a transport license which is free).
This has to be done via car, ferry or train.. you usually can't take them on planes.

If you are a business the transport license is free to get and is one very simple form.

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I take it herps / reps don't need to go into 6 months quarantine (like dogs, cats, etc)?
Nope, no quarantine, no checks.. as long as it's not a licensed animal (cites/dwa), and if it is, you have the paperwork... you can just bring it straight in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts