Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a few problems handling my 10-12 week old Beard dragon and looking for advice as she is the first one I have owned. Have had her for approx 3-4 weeks. Feeding fine on live food, not overly interested in fruit or veg.

Problem with handling is she just doesnt seem to like it. I gave her time to settle in before approaching her but over the weeks she hasnt changed at all. I often left my hand in so she could get my scent and no one else in the house has attempted to touch her. She will never ever walk onto my hand of her own choice no matter how long I wait. She will sometimes allow me to pick her up, but often runs away. If I hold her she will sometimes squirm in my hands before calming down. She will then happily sit in my hands or lay on me and I can let go and she doesnt move away. If I go to put her back in the viv she is not in a hurry to get off me (never jumps or rushes back in).

Any advice on how to get her happier at coming to be and being handled greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
103 Posts
Craig, I have been having the same issue and my BD is the same age as yours, nothing I do seems to make him any keener to walk on my hand, be held etc.

I have had lots of advice but in all honesty I think some are just less keen on being 'handled' I am hoping over time (poss months rather than weeks) he will get to enjoy coming out of his viv and being held

·
Registered
572 Posts
You could he maybe try offering mealworm on your hand and gradly move the mealworm up your arm and then she will have to climb onto your hand

Hope this helps

·
Registered
244 Posts
when i first got mine i left him a whole week and when i went to pick him up he always ran away, so i chased around the viv and caught him, as soon as i picked him up he was fine, eventually i didn't have to chase for as long, until one day he happily let me pick him up and know he loves being taken out to play and sometimes when i walk in the room he runs up to the glass begging to play!:2thumb:

Reactions: BeenzandCarlos
1 - 5 of 5 Posts